Motor stalls in the rain?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor stalls in the rain??

Ok, newby to the forum but not to the truck. I have an 01 Platinum with 305k on it. This year it just started dying only when it rains. I can be going down the road at any speed or even idling at a light and if it is raining it will randomly just die. No warning, its like I shut the key off. All of the other electronics keep working. I can just put the truck in neutral, start it, and back into drive and I am good. The problem is definatly only if it is raining out. Also, when I start it in the mornings sometimes when I turn the key over to start it just "clicks". I have to turn the key several times and finally it will fire. It has done this for almost a year now. Seams that when it is colder out the start issue is worse as in I have to "click" it a few more times......any help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

When it does this check the starter relay on the pass fender well and see if you have 12 volts going to the starter. As for the raining issue, the windshield are known to leak on the drivers side and water can enter the PCM and cause all sorts of problems, so check for moisture in that area.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsteve View Post
Ok, newby to the forum but not to the truck. I have an 01 Platinum with 305k on it. This year it just started dying only when it rains. I can be going down the road at any speed or even idling at a light and if it is raining it will randomly just die. No warning, its like I shut the key off. All of the other electronics keep working. I can just put the truck in neutral, start it, and back into drive and I am good. The problem is definatly only if it is raining out. Also, when I start it in the mornings sometimes when I turn the key over to start it just "clicks". I have to turn the key several times and finally it will fire. It has done this for almost a year now. Seams that when it is colder out the start issue is worse as in I have to "click" it a few more times......any help??
I had the same problem awhile ago. I found that the cps can cause this. It has something to do with the amp draw of the wipers. I replced the cps with one from the International dealer and have had no problems since. On a side note it only did it when the wipers were on intermitent.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 AM

I am having this same issue.....what a mess. Only sputters with delay wipers on...180 miles of a recent trip was full of coughs and sputters from my rig because I had the wipers on driving through a bizzard, the other 200 miles was issue free asside from the occasional stall or rpm pulse when copming to a stop. It had a post recall cps in it when this started happening and now it has a napa cps in it because it felt like the last time the CPS failed. I can sit in my driveway with a dry windshield and flip the wipers to intermitant and after a few flips the truck dies...its not the same number of on/off revolutions everytime but it is defintely tied into the wipers...
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

See 1999 F250 7.3L 4x4 Engine Dies, No Speed Control
There seems to be a lot of us with this problem.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjohn View Post
See 1999 F250 7.3L 4x4 Engine Dies, No Speed Control
There seems to be a lot of us with this problem.
I replied to your post.....
Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for bumping this older post, but it was very helpful in solving my CPS issue. 1999 F-250 2WD.

FYI - I tried to replace my CPS with the aftermarket ones from both Pepboys and Autozone. Both CPS's resulted in the same stalling symptoms. I finally ordered the ford CPS from ebay. The Ford CPS worked.

Thanks again to everyone who posts in this forum, it was a big help.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem with the cps I bought from napa. the one I bought from international fixed it.
steve
Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Put some dielectric grease on the cps plug, it will help keep the water out. I've had that problem also and that was how I fixed it.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For what it's worth,,,, I think the issue with the CPS/Rain connection had nothing to do with water, but rather that the wiper motor was generating some EM signal that was interfering with the CPS signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.