Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Starter grinding and seizing...???

9K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  zackytsai 
#1 ·
When I go to start my truck... about once every 4-5 time it will start to turn over and then it makes a really nasty screaching or grinding noise like the starter is seizing up or something. yesterday it did it 5 or 6 times in a row before I finally got it to crank. What the heck is this? Is my starter on the way out?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#3 ·
If it's the starter gear misaligned with the flywheel (flexplate in an Auto) then, every time you hear that it's doing damage to it. No big deal to the, easily replaced, starter BUT you really don't want to have to replace the flywheel because it's now missing teeth if you don't have to...

Quit doin' that to it ! ;)

#5 ·
Hope you went with the DB starter?????

#7 ·
I think you will be very happy!!!

#10 ·
I ordered directly from DB Starter. Part # 17802. Came out to about $137 shipped. Install is pretty easy. I had to pull the lead back further because they attach to the new starter in a different place. Also had to grind about 1/4 inch off the crossmember. It would have fit but would of rubbed. The DB Starter is about twice as big as the OEM. But my truck starts much faster now. Let me know if you have any other questions.:thumb:

#12 ·
guys, I need help. I have the same problem and I took out my starter to inspect it power it up and everything looks fine. solenoid worked as well. bendix came out when it touched the lead. in short, it seemed to work as it should. I put it back to the truck, same thing happened. not engaging the flex plate, just spinning the starter sometimes grinding a little bit and then free spinning. Do you still think it could be the starter? or the worst case, the flexplate??

Please help. I am desperate.

Thanks in advance.

#13 ·
pull the inspection plate where the TC is. I could see 60% of the flywheel. take a good look at the teeth. any chipped or missing? Just because the gear comes out and spins with no load does not mean it will do the same when you put a monster load on it. replace the starter.

#14 ·
tc? I am sorry, i am new to the diesel engine. This is my first diesel truck and I dont know much about these engine yet. What/where exactly is tc. Is there a write-up or photos I can follow? Do you think I should replace the starter before I inspect the flexplate?

Thanks,

#17 ·
Does anyone have any write up for installing the DB starter? I know I have to grind some off of the crossmember but how much? also where can I purchase one? and which one?

#18 ·
TC = Torque converter. there is a black access plate where the trans meets the motor. (If I remember right..) 6 bolts to take out and the plate will come off and you can see most of the flywheel. Its easier to remove then the starter!

get this one
NEW Ford 7.3L Diesel Starter POWERSTROKE Truck 01 02 03 SND0355 17802: SND0355 --- DB Electrical Starter-Alternator

Its easy, disconnect the 2 batteries take out the 2 or 3 bolts holding in the starter and then take off the 2 wires. bend the terminal on the big wire (you will see when you are putting in the new one...) attach the little wire to the starter and slide the new starter in. attach with the 2 bolts and thats it! I did not need to grind anything to make it fit. I just did because it made me feel better and it was the first time I got to use my new angle grinder :)

#20 ·
I guess I forgot to mention that I have a 2004 6.0L. Sorry about that I don't suppose the 7.3 starter would fit in 6.0, huh? In this case, which starter should I go with and do I still not have to grind anything off?

#22 ·
thanks for your help, tubular. you have been a big help. So you think the checking flexplate procedure would still be the same?

#24 ·
I still can't figure out how to check the flexplate. I guess it's different from 7.3. I can't seem to find where the inspection cover is. Please help.

#26 ·
yea I know. I thought about it. But I am a rookie to this forum and it is preventing me from starting a new thread. I don't know if it would allow me to post later on or I just simply can't. again, sorry that I had to post in 7.3's forum. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.