Coolant loss under load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant loss under load

Under normal driving conditions I experience no loss of coolant (Evans NPG) what so ever, however when I pull heavy or run the engine hard (drag racing) I have a noticable ammount of coolant loss. At times it may only be 8 to 10 oz., but sometimes can be more. I plan on running another oil sample through Blackstone and see what that gets me. I am leaning towards head gaskets, but I am wondering if the Evans may be contributing because of the no pressure system. The engine was built aprox 50k miles ago with all my mods in mind with all new parts. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced,

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I would overnight a sample to Blackstone and not drive it until you get it back. Check everywhere underneath, dried coolant will usually leave a residue, of course check all clamps and water pump weep hole. If it is internal it could be a head gasket, oil cooler etc.... Let's hope not!! I haven't found one person that has run that Evans and had good results. Does Navistar even list it as a approved coolant?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its funny, but some time ago Evans was ran and endorsed by the majority. Now it seems that no one has anything good to say about it. I guess that I jumped onto the bandwagon too soon. I am currently not in the position to not drive the truck, I have to drive it. I am going to run a sample and let Blackstone take a look at then make a decision. As for the dried coolant I am not sure what dried Evans looks like. I am usally very aware of the area under my truck, and have always kept an eye on it. Is it possible that this is caused by Evans or is this wishfull thinking?

Thanks for the replies,

Will

Last edited by lilwill; 12-27-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

You know you are loosing coolant someplace, it's either a external or internal leak!!! Get under there with a flashlight and look for any external leaks, and get that sample to Blackstone , quick!!! Hopefully it is just a water pump. Let me know what you find out.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was curious as to what your problem was. Did you ever get it diagnosed and fixed? If so, what was the problem?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I discovered that I had a small coolant leak coming from my block heater connection on my oil cooler. It was so small that it wouldn't leak onto the ground, so I doubt it was an issue. I have also changed my driving habits and when I pull a load, I just take it easy. Since I have not had any problems.

I have sent a sample of oil to blackstone but it revealed nothing, but I also had no coolant loss during this oil change interval. I am somewhat at a standstill, and really don't have the time OR the money to tear into a good running engine. So the only thing that I can do without much fuss is change the coolant and keep an eye on any changes.

Anyway, thanks for asking.

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.