99 f250 7.3 will not start in 27f weather? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 f250 7.3 will not start in 27f weather?

Last year I had no problems starting in the cold. I live in Indiana so it does not get that cold here, therefore I should not be having this problem. I have to cycle through the wait to start process about 8 times before my truck will start. The other day she finally started, drove about 2 miles and my engine shut off completely. Found out the problem was my fuel heater was bad and blowing a fuse. I disconnected the fuel heater a couple of days later and truck started, but it was 60 degrees out. I went ahead and replaced the glow plugs thinking that would help with the shifty starting in the morning but today when i went to start it wouldn't. It would try to start but never catch idle It was only 27 degrees out. I have talked with a couple of mechanics here in town and they say that it doesn't get cold enough here for the fuel heater to matter or plugging it in at night will do no better. They say I have another problem, thats them telling this over the phone. Is a working fuel heater inside the fuel filter/water separator assembly that important in kinda cold weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
no, have you checked or replaced the gpr relay? Nc hornet did a great write up on it,
weak batteries or faulty new ones, loose cables, worn starter would effect starting too
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the relay clicks and everything when i turn the key on. Doesnt that mean that they are working correctly. everything else yes i have done.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM

have you checked fuel pressure? Not just that you have fuel?
read this on glow plugs
Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, they all are working fine. Damn, I bought a Diesel because i thought these things were pretty maintenance free. I thought all you had to do was get air and fuel to these things and off they go. Wow was I fooled.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So your saying since the relay is clicking its working right?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Disconnect the fuel heater. It is shorting out the #30 fuse. replace the fuse and try. You either have a bad plug on the heater or the heater itself is bad. Should start. If it takes awhile. Check the level on the high pressure res. Make sure it is filled to the top. While truck is off add oil till it is full. the plug it crank the engine. While truck is off check level again. That should take care of sluggish startin the lower temps.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

He already has the heater unplugged!!! That was a prior issue.
Back to OP, NO!!!!! just because you hear it click doesn't mean it is transfering power to the GP's. Please read my write up on troubleshooting the GP system that is posted above and make sure you have voltage on both sides of the GPR.It could be a bad GPR and you replaced the GP's for nothing. Want to send me your old GP's for some testing?

NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.