Thermostat Housing Bolts Snapped! Fail! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thermostat Housing Bolts Snapped! Fail!

Well trying to replace the radiator I decided it would be a good time to go ahead and replace the thermostat. Looking back I wish I wouldn't have because two of the three housing bolts snapped right at the head so it's flush with the housing. This whole ordeal is just becoming a pain in my ***. It's too late to go anywhere to pick up an easy out or bolt extractor. I plan on going out tomorrow afternoon and picking up the bolt extractor set at Harbor Freight. The bolts are damn small and I'm praying that a bolt extractor will work. I would weld a washer on and remove it that way but no welder available and I really don't even know how to weld in the first place. Anybody know what the size of the bolts are of if the parts counter at the dealership has them? They all seem to be closed considering it is Sunday evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 PM

one thing i did, was i used a dremel to cut a slot into bolt, and then use a screwdriver to back it out, if that don't work, then yes an extractor would be your savior here, it'll have to be a small one, good luck
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 PM

I just picked up an extractor set today. The smallest is a 5/64" so I think the 1/8" one will work. I was thinking about doing the dremel trick I just don't think I have a cutting wheel that small to make a nice groove to get with a flathead screwdriver. Also considering just drilling the stupid thing all the way out and just using a longer bolt with a nut on the end. We'll see what happens I guess.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 AM

I cna't reacll but it's on the water pump right? Worst case is a new waterpump? Not the end of the world.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Yeah it's part of the water pump. I know the worst case is to install a new waterpump but I'm trying to avoid that, more downtime and more money. I'm already into this whole process about 400 bucks. The more I look at it, the more likely I'm gonna snap the left handed drill bit off into the bolt. I think I'm just gonna drill the entire thing out and attach it with a bolt and nut until I need to replace the water pump. I'm just waiting for a good time to go out as we are having a torrential downpour all this afternoon.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Is there any special way of removing the transmission lines that go in the radiator? As in is there any way to prevent fluid from leaking down the lines and all over the place. Normally the lines I've seen that go into the radiator or rubber so you can stick a bolt to block it. Also how much trans fluid is in the radiator itself?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Just use the easy out, that is what they are made for and they work. I would also get a new thermostat housing when you go to Ford for the bolts because once they are removed they usually won't seal again. Make sure you get a new O ring for it as well because it doesn't come with the housing.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Well looks like I will be replacing the waterpump. I snapped off two drill bits and both landed in the waterpump. I can't find them to fish them out. I guess it's better to do this that way I don't have to do it later. Trying to be optimistic here. I've read up on the waterpump and will be purchasing it from Northern Auto Parts because I hear that they sell the one that Ford uses.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Yep Carquest supposedly carries the Airtex pump with a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Both carquests I called had no clue who manufactured their water pumps. It wasn't labeled on their box or in the system. I went ahead and ordered it on ebay through Northern and got 8% cash back. Yes! Once I get the pump in and installed I will almost have replaced the entire cooling system. 334k miles so who knows when this stuff was replaced before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.