Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No power 7.3

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  guitarnut 
#1 ·
Hoping someone can give me some insight to this dang truck. I went to visit my buddy yesterday and the truck wouldn't go over 50mph, would just blow black smoke and not move. I pulled over, checked to make sure the map as the disconnect or anything, gave it another go and ran great for the rest of the day, was able to get up to 70mph no problem. Today I went to pick up my camper and once I hit the highway no power again. When I stomp on it it goes about to 15 psi boost and stays there, also seem like it doesn't want to shift. Yesterday when it ran fine I was almost at 30psi.

Right now I have the hydra disconnected to make sure that's not causing any issues. Here's a little video of the unit. Any help appreciated as the wife's going to kill me if we don't go camping

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

#3 ·
So cleaned it out and it ran fine around town, went to my dads to get some fire wood and head off camping. About 10km down the road going up a steep hill I Iost all power, when I shifted to first it poured black smoke out like crazy and still didn't have much power. I pulled of and now I'm sitting on the side of the road, the thing also won't crank over now. When I opened the hood I could hear hissing from around the ac condenser, proably cuz it's hot, and coolant started coming out of the reservoir. The temp on the dash wasn't showing high. Boost was sitting around 15-20 when I was trying to go up the hill

#4 ·
Well got it home, my dad came by to make sure we had hydrolocked to motor and it turned so we gave the starter a good hit and it started up. Got it home yet and still no power, really struggles to do more the 40mphr and stays around 14 boost, it will go to 20 when you really punch it but doesn't stay they're for long

#6 ·
You need to hook up a monitor so you can check your ICP and IPR numbers. I use a Scanguage 2. Also If it does this after you have driven it for awhile it could be your fuel pickup screens inside the tank getting plugged up. Debris in the tank can get sucked up into the fuel pickup but if you turn it off and let it sit it will come back out then it will run fine until it starts to plug up again. You can drop the tank and do the harpoon mod to fix this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.