Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The Possessed PowerStroke. Mechanic needs Help Part 2

2K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  sbluke55 
#1 ·
So..... I will start with testing EVERYTHING. This truck didn't run when I bought it, because I'm an awesome shadetree mechanic. Till this thing showed up at my shop. First it was the ipr not holding pressure, pull it apart and the actuator pin is missing. 😐 Second was the rebuilt injectors that were installed before I got it, #3 was blowing oil out the side because the rebuilds didn't tighten the poppet screws.😲 so no hpop pressure again. WTS light wont come on..... someone screwed up the fuse box because the fuse would fall out, looks like they push 10penny nails in the fuse. 🤡 Fixed. Also they spliced in a steering column🤕! So I'm thinking after I fix that, this thing will run! Haha🤣, wrong. Fuel pressure is 0. Find the plug for pc m corroded. Cleaned it. Crank? Negative sucker. So let's pull the IDM. Yes!! Oh look, water. So junkyard saves me again. Install new to me IDM, no, still don't like you enough to crank. Fuse 22 no power again. Replace fuse. Still waiting on OBD Bluetooth to show up. She cranks! But fuel pressure is 22-24psi and it sounds like a bad exhaust valve. Pull fuel relay, yes this is where I posted the 1st time, because she ran great. For as few minutes till it ran out of fuel😓 Pressure relief is my problem. No and yes. When I pull it, the cap breaks. Not the threads, but the inside that pushes the spring. Build a spring holder out of a set screw with 3 sides grinded so fuel can flow at set pressure. Still 22psi. Air test the fuel system holds at 60 easy😁 So A Holley blue fuel pump with a modified internal pressure relief put inline with stock pump should work, right?🤣🤣🤣🤣 Access Denied. Wont crank with 65psi fuel pressure. Disconnect pump2 and bleed to 20, truck fires right up.... ok? Fuse in pump2 and pressure up to 65, dies. So put a push button on pump to find the sweet spot. Nope again. Anything over 40 and she won't run. Ipr is at 500, and I'm lost as to what my solution is. It's either run with 20psi fuel, or not . Please, I'll rake the crazy, most outrageous ideas right now🤕🤕🤕🤕🤕 From the mechanic that needs help🛶

See less See more
#2 ·
... So A Holley blue fuel pump with a modified internal pressure relief put inline with stock pump should work, right? ...
Not necessarily. At least, that's my opinion. The stock 7.3L fuel pump has a free-flow flow rate of 60GPH. The Holley "Blue" has a free-flow flow rate of 110GPH. I would surmise that - regardless of pressure - your mismatched flow rates are causing the Holley to choke.

You may just want to get a good OEM pump in there.

Reactions: SparkyF250
#5 ·
So A rundown of last night: pulled the under dash fuse box, disassembled and cleaned out water corrosion, found a bent blade that wasn't plugging into the gem, which came out of a 2001 SUV, what the tag says🤕, and fixed my bright lights, which like to cut off when they want. Now for the fuel pressure. 20psi, she runs with a miss, rough idle, and a pop from the exhaust. 30psi, everything gets worse. 40, worse again, 50, really bad. 60👀, it dies with no throttle response after a 30 seconds. But bleed the pressure to 15 and leave the fuel pump off, she will pur smooth, watch the pressure drop below 5psi, and you'd think it was the perfect running Powerstroke!! 😓😓😓😓 Is there anyone here that can help? Ask your friends, print it and post it at work, share it on Facebook and email, lol😂! But I really need to figure this out before stress kills me.

#7 ·
Having folks try to help you diagnose a vehicle with more mismatched and errored parts than Frankenstein, just in what you listed in your first post, is going to be pretty difficult.

Is there anything in the fuel path (i.e. regulator put in backwards) that's actually killing the flow once the pressure is upped? Seems like anything-goes with this right now.

#8 ·
I was wondering if the OEM pump had gotten replaced yet and the Holley pump in series removed.

#9 ·
Ummmm. Yeah. What year truck are we working on?
Where are you getting fuel pressure from?
Pics of fuel pressure regulator Jew rigging. This one has me confused.

Reactions: SparkyF250
#10 ·
1999, fuel pressure tested on both bowl ports, 18 psi, kick on Holley pump and it's 65 both ports at idle. Truck died after Holley turned on and wont restart. Bleed pressure to18 then start driving Interstate and turn Holley back on, will run but now lacks more power. Hooked to scanner, no codes. Hooked to ford techs laptop, no codes. CC AND buzz test are good. Has miss and exhaust pop with fuel pressure, pull relay and let pressure fall to 0 and it runs perfect at idle, has fast throttle response but no power. Are my injectors royally screwed up? Will be testing fuel pressure on the heads this weekend

#16 ·
Reactions: fordsvtparts
#18 ·
It's 12:31AM EST and your best source of OEM Ford parts is freakin' ON IT. It don't get any better than that.

#20 ·
True. Is your little snookums sleeping through the night?

#23 ·
Sorry to read of her current struggle but glad to read of her resilience.

Reactions: fordsvtparts
#27 ·
Yep. A little breast milk in the eye will do wonders. Helps the kids too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.