Wont start in this cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wont start in this cold

I live in Wyoming and its been about -12 or lower. I drive a 2000 f 350 that i just replaced the battery's and the alternator and ignition switch and the cylonoid by the fire wall 2 days ago. My truck has a quarter of a tank and has been plugged in. I let the glow plugs warm up alot when it is this cold but when i crank it over all it does is crank and the radio and all the lights stop working do you think its the glow plugs or the relay or the batterys freezing>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
do you plug it in at night??? is it possible your fuel gelled?? did you replace the parts or have someone do it for you? if you did it, did you put it back together exactly as it came apart?? its been in the low teens here and my truck is having a tough time starting if i dont plug it in.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has plugged in someone put everything on it not myself. We even tried jumping it but its just cranks and cranks and cranks it wont kick over at all
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 AM

yeah I am in wyoming too, I have to leave mine plugged in all nite or for several hours when its below zero, not to bad above zero. Keep fuel treated with anti-gel, but I don't forsee that causaing a dead battery symptom, it'll crank awhile and not fire or run for 2 or 3 seconds then die. I would have your batteries checked down at the parts store. Anyways, make sure you put fuel treatment in and check the batteries then let us know.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

did you ck your fuel filter to make sure the fuel hasnt gelled up on you. mine did that once when it was like -10 and it sucked to change everything out in the cold. i never let mine get below half a tank in the winter now. and add stuff to your fuel and you should be good. good luck man
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When you turn the key on, does the "wait to start" light come on?

Reason I ask, I had a similar issue with my truck. It would crank and crank with no fire. The "wait to start" light did not come on when I turned the key on and the overdrive off light would come on the shifter.

Found out the fuel bowl heater was broken and it popped the fuse that controls it, the main computer and something else. I unplugged the fuel bowl heater and replaced the fuse and all was well.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having the same problem and it turned out that the block heater was bad,ford wanted 50$ for the element and 80$ for the cord,and they were on back order and wouldnt ship out till Feb 1rst!I went to international and they had a kit with both for 37$!.I didnt want drain the anti freeze and was able to pull the old one out and get the new one in with very little coolant loss,starts on the first crank and has heat almost instantly.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I am not saying he doesn't have a gel problem, but the OP stated when he tries to start the truck all the lights go off and the radio. Something isn't right here!!!
Plug the truck in all night, or if you can get it in a warm building for 8 hours that would be great. Pour some 911 in the fuel tank and fuel filter bowl as well as change the FF. Then while cranking check the voltage on your batteries. This will take 2 people, if it drops below 11 volts your batteries are to weak. Have you also switched to a lighter weight oil? In those temps 15w-40 is going to be like pudding. Switching to a 10w-40 or 5w-40 will make a huge difference. Your truck needs to have have fuel, oil pressure and voltage to start. Start with the basics. If you think it is gelled, cycle the key a few times with the fuel bowl drain open to get the gelled fuel out of the lines, then treat the fuel bowl and new FF and see if she will fire up.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I am not saying he doesn't have a gel problem, but the OP stated when he tries to start the truck all the lights go off and the radio. Something isn't right here!!!
Plug the truck in all night, or if you can get it in a warm building for 8 hours that would be great. Pour some 911 in the fuel tank and fuel filter bowl as well as change the FF. Then while cranking check the voltage on your batteries. This will take 2 people, if it drops below 11 volts your batteries are to weak. Have you also switched to a lighter weight oil? In those temps 15w-40 is going to be like pudding. Switching to a 10w-40 or 5w-40 will make a huge difference. Your truck needs to have have fuel, oil pressure and voltage to start. Start with the basics. If you think it is gelled, cycle the key a few times with the fuel bowl drain open to get the gelled fuel out of the lines, then treat the fuel bowl and new FF and see if she will fire up.
Kev. I totally agree with you here. One thing to add though. Since he said all the accesorys shut down when he hits the key I'm betting the guy that installed the new starter solenoid got the two small wires crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.