Stallilng problem with my 99 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stallilng problem with my 99

Hey guys,

Well I have been trying to trouble shoot a problem my 99 f-350 PSD has been giving me for a few weeks. When I coast a long ways to a stop and this is intermitent, it will loose power and then the closer I get to the stop sign it will just die. I can put it in Neutral and fire it back up on the move and it will usually drive off just like usual. Sometimes however it feels like it is lacking power like it just cant get going and it will shift hard like the timing is all screwed up.

Here is what I have done
Fuel filter less than 1000 miles ago.
CPS replaced the gray one with another gray one a week ago.
Replaced the alternator last week. My battery light was coming on so I had the alternator checked and it was bad, so replaced.
Made sure all my fueses under the hood and the in the cab box were all good and operating.

I just recently purchased the truck a few months ago. It has 101800 miles on it. Also has an Edge chip that the previous owner said adds 85HP and 150lbs of torque.

Any help would be greatly appriciated! Im at a loss at this point!

Thank you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

remove the chip and see if it still stalls.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Diesel Doc,

This is the first truck we have had with a chip installed. Any tips or pointers to removing the chip? I have heard that the chip plug could get some condensation on it or just become dirty possibly causing this. Could the chip just be going bad?

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Is it just a chip plugged into the back of the pcm or is it an edge tuner that mounts on the dash with 5 settings? If it's in the pcm just make sure the key is shut off and pull it out. The pcm is down by the e-brake pedal. It's in a black plastic cover. It will be cut out on the rear part if it has the chip there. and Yes I have seen chips die that have caused stalling issues. Just make sure you tape over the hole if you are not going to replace the chip.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Diesel Doc,

Sorry for taking so long to get back on here. I went out that afternoon and tried to figure out the chip. I found the black box by the e brake and didnt see anything plugged into it. I also couldnt remove the box it seemed. Didnt try to hard. Would it be plugged into that box from the engine side? I do not have a tuner mounted so im assuming here that it is just the plug into the pcm type. Any help would be appriciated!

Thanks again
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If there is no extra wires tied into the sensors on the motor then it is safe to assume it is either a programmer or a pcm mounted chip. I was looking online for a picture of a chip installed but was unable to find a good one, but I found a picture of where most people cut the black box to put the chip in and I added an arrow. I believe that you might be able to hide the chip under the black pcm cover. It will always come in from the back. There are 2 7mm bolts that hold that cover on. Remove them and you should be able to slide it back to see the end of the pcm. If there is a chip it is usually taped in there. Stock should have a black plastic plug stuck in the housing of the processor.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK just went out and looked at my truck in the dark. I took the 2 7mm bolts out but still could not get the black cover off of the box. I did however go look more on the engine. Maybe this will help, there is an edge box on top of my fuse box under the hood. The edge box has a cable that runs to the center of the engine by the fuel filter and then plugs into a bundle of wires there. That is as far as I can trace it. Any ideas? Sorry im not 100% knowledgable. I am just wanting to figure this out and hopefully learn from it!

Also today the truck did something weird. It drove like it was lacking fuel again. I drove about 10 miles then shut the truck off and restarted it. It drove like a bat outa hell then. Then leaving work again it did the same thing except I tried twice to restart it and neither times did it ever pick back up. It acts like it doesnt have much power until the rpms get up about 2000 then it has some power. Not like usual at all. Then it also one time I tried to restart it fired up then acted like it was running out of fuel spit and sputtered then died. I turned the key off then fired it back up and it started fine. It is sure giving me heck.

Thank you so much for you help! ! !
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK did some more research. FYI the Edge product I have is this Edge EZ for Ford Powerstroke 7.3L EZF1000 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Hoping this helps problem solve! lol
Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Ok I looked at the edge product. The only sensor this one ties into is the ICP sensor. to remove simply with the key in the off position disconnect the connector at the sensor and plug the factory connector back into the ICP connector. I would also disconnect the batteries for about 10 minutes to clear any codes that may have been set by this unit. Then simply drive and see if it stalls. If it does then I would recommend that you see if there is any codes stored in the pcm. Oh by the way if you need help finding the ICP sensor just click on the instructions link they have on that site you gave the link to they show a really nice picture of where it is located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.