Brakes & 4x4 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes & 4x4 questions

Hey guys, i have a few issues with my truck at the moment and want to tackle the first two..

When i brake, It brakes fine but the truck pulls to the left, the harder i brake the harder it pulls.. what im i looking at here?? im planning on flushing the system and replacing the front pads and turning the rotors. I take my time braking and also use the engine to brake (6spd)

--

The second issue, the 4x4. i have gotten stuck twice now because the 4x4 doesnt want to engage. I have tried to switch to 4x4 before reaching the area were i know im gonna need to get out (steep gravel incline), i turn the truck off while unloading, when im about to leave only the rear wheels engage.

got a friend with the manual hub locks and hes truck (and other trucks) crawls that incline easily even wile puling a 16' trailer.

I think that my auto lock hubs are just not locking anymore but would like to know a more expert opinion/advice before a i swap them for the warner manual ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here is a article to give you some info for your brakes.http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/tt86.pdf As far as the hubs see if you have a vacumn leak such as a broken line or bad seals.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the link, interesting..

i'll check for vacum leaks, other than at the vaccum pump, where else should i look?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Seems to me somebody on here said the solinoid can go bad in the pump??? I might be giving you some bad info! Im sure somebody will chime in with some better info to start with.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

when you flip it to 4 high, does the ac blow out of the vents or the defrost up by the window on the dash? if it goes from the vents to the defrost, it's a vacume leak...

also does it show a 4x4 light?

dan
Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hey Dan, the light does lilght up 4x4 and 4x4 low.. i'll check the ac vents next.. i'll turn the ac on and have the flow voem out the front vents before flipping into 4x4.. I'll post back the result
Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Jon

I didnt read the link but

check the hub seals on the back side of the spindle. That is a VERY common place for a vac leak. Just switch your hubs to lock. That will get you bye untill you get the problem fixed. ON the braking. 98% of the time its the opposite side. Usually its not that one side is pulling harder its that the other side isnt pulling hard enough. Check your system over good and make sure nothings froze. The rear slide pins are common to freeze.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok, checked the AC. I had the AC blowing towards the front, when i switched into 4x4 high cold air slowly started to blow out from the dashboard/windshield vents.. so that indicates a vacume leak?

Im thinking on redoing the brakes, one rotors seems to have more wear than the other which indicates that one side is braking more/less than the other. Caliper slide pins?

How hard is replacing those slide pins? wonder is the guys that is going to be replacing the rotors and pads be able to service the calipers as well..

What else can i get serviced while i get the front rotors and pads replaced?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:44 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
On your brakes:
Definately there is a problem with the left wheel getting greater braking force than the right. I would just pull the brakes, replace both sides and turn both rotors as well as bleeding the lines and putting in new brake fluid.

On you 4x4:
You do have a vacuum leak. To fix this you will have to find out where the leak is. It's either in the hubs or in the vac lines going to the hubs. You can just get out and manually turn the hubs to the LOCK position when you know your going out to that incline. My 4x4 auto hubs are leaking as well so I just had it in LOCK the whole winter just in case of snow. Yes, that means the hubs will be locked all of the time, even in 2wd, but you can always hop out and put 'em back into AUTO when your not expecting any trouble.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

since there is a lot of labor involved in just taking the rotors out i might as well replaced them with good ones.. fluid will be replaced with either syntetic or super dot 4 fluid.. My main concern are the calipers, and service them.

On the hub issue...i tried puttign them into the lock position 'BUT' they wont turn, they are pretty much stuck in auto. Im afraid that if i force them hard into the lock position i may not be able to tur it back into auto or worse brake something in the process.. dont know if thats an internal issue of just dirt/sand that prevents the turn.?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.