Why? Why? Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why? Why? Why?

Does anyone know why the CPS's in these trucks are such peices of junk? I just had mine replaced about 2 months ago. Classic symptoms and codes pulled pointed to a CPS. Changed it out, new one had no problems for about 3 weeks and then periodically started acting up. Seems like mostly when it is raining or very wet roads. You know, engine chugging, cutting out at low RPMs. Whats the deal with these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
when was your last oil change, what is your oil level, have you changed the fuel filter, have you drained the fuel water seperator yet. I would be checking these things out before you go run out and buy a new cps again. As low oil level, dirty oil, old oil, clogged fuel filter, water in the fuel can all cause the syptoms of a bad cps. You may also want to check the under valve cover wiring harness might have a bad connection there causing these problems as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
when was your last oil change,about 7 days ago what is your oil level,perfectly within opperating range have you changed the fuel filter,yes about 3 weeks ago have you drained the fuel water seperator yet.yes I would be checking these things out before you go run out and buy a new cps again. As low oil level, dirty oil, old oil, clogged fuel filter, water in the fuel can all cause the syptoms of a bad cps. You may also want to check the under valve cover wiring harness might have a bad connection there causing these problems as well.
It's the exact same thing as the first time it went bad. Chugging (dieing out and then coming back to life) dieing ay low speeds and while idling for no apparent reason. This happened routinely as soon as there was a little rain with the old CPS and is now happening here and there with the new one.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Jon

These

trucks also are known to have water getting into the idm connector and causing problems like your describing. What codes did it set then and what codes is it setting now? VERY rarely will a cam sensor go bad as soon as your new one did? Is it a Ford sensor?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketechintraining View Post
trucks also are known to have water getting into the idm connector and causing problems like your describing. What codes did it set then and what codes is it setting now? VERY rarely will a cam sensor go bad as soon as your new one did? Is it a Ford sensor?
It's a sensor from Napa. Where's the IDM connector. Problem seems to be water related. No codes currently. I just reprogrammed and my flashpaq clears codes when it's done. All codes pulled last time pointed to a CPS
Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Jon

Aftermarket

cps have been known for repeated failures. The Idm is in the drivers side fender well. You have to pull the inner fender back a bit to get up in there. If you look around you will see everyone saying get a Ford or IH sensor. There is a reason for that.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketechintraining View Post
cps have been known for repeated failures. The Idm is in the drivers side fender well. You have to pull the inner fender back a bit to get up in there. If you look around you will see everyone saying get a Ford or IH sensor. There is a reason for that.
OK so how do I keep water from getting into the IDM ?

If indeed I have another bad CPS I'll go to an International dealer and get my next one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.