Solenoid/Starting Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Solenoid/Starting Issues

almost 100% of the time now I have to pop the hood and bridge the solenoid on the passenger side with a screwdriver to start my truck. This really sucks and I was wondering if anyone else has this issue or any ideas about it. My mechanic says it could be the starter that needs to be cleaned or something? Doesn't really make sense to me. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

The key does not work, but jumping the relay makes it start OK? Then i would say that you need to test the wire that goes to the relay. I would use a multi meter and see if you get a voltage when you turn the key to the start position, if you do not get a voltage, then the wire is broken, or the Ignition Switch might be going bad or out of adjustment. I had one go bad in a differt ford truck. I have also noticed if the key cylinder has a lot of play in it, that could be a cause, but that was in a differnt truck (L9000, it was draining the batterys). The ignition switch is on top of the steering coulum under the dash. it might be hard to get to. I have not looked in my truck yet.

You can see the part on Autozone's website. It is under the ignition (tune up) area.

hope this helps, hope it is not the starter!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine did that before. NOTHING from the ignition but I could start it by bridging the ignition solenoid or whatever that one is called. Check your neutral safety switch. Hit a stupid little traffic cone and it just jarred the switch. Unplugged it and plugged it back it. It worked.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

true, never thought of that, anther good place to look.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Mine did that before. NOTHING from the ignition but I could start it by bridging the ignition solenoid or whatever that one is called. Check your neutral safety switch. Hit a stupid little traffic cone and it just jarred the switch. Unplugged it and plugged it back it. It worked.
yeah i saw your post about this when i searched, ill give it a shot and hope this is my issue - seems like an easy fix. Otherwise ill break out the multimeter...thanks.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

I am not a tech, so I am not sure what voltage you should see, but I am going to guess around 12 volts.

you might want to check the nutral switch if you have the MM out if everything else checks fine.

Good luck, let us know what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.