Exhaust Leaking Sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Leaking Sound

When I bought my 7.3 PSD Excursion (used) it had an up-pipe leak so I installed the International Bellowed up-pipes and all was good. Since then the only thing that I have added is gauges. Now I am starting to hear what sounds like another leak, I didnít notice it until about 6 months after I installed the new up-pipes. However, I canít remember if it was before or after the installation of the gauges so I will check the boost gauge and line. The sound isnít as loud as the original leaking sound and I canít find any soot on the up-pipes. However, I took a mirror and found a very small amount of soot that outlined the exhaust back pressure shaft on the exhaust side of the turb. Do any of you have any experience with this? What could it be? I checked the turbo a couple of months ago though the blades are worn there didnít seem to be any play in the shaft. Also, could the EBP butterfly be partially closed and causing the sound? If so how do you check for this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM

It could be the EBPV engaged causing a loud hissing noise. It freaked me out when I first heard it on mine, I thought I had a major exhaust leak or like a wastegate stuck open. Then I read up on the post in the 7.3 Tech files and read what I was hearing was normal.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
It could be the EBPV engaged causing a loud hissing noise. It freaked me out when I first heard it on mine, I thought I had a major exhaust leak or like a wastegate stuck open. Then I read up on the post in the 7.3 Tech files and read what I was hearing was normal.
Yeah, I have heard that noise before (loud hissing noise) but this sounds more like a slight ticking sound like an exhaust leak.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I took my tune (SuperChip Tow Safe) out yesterday and the noise is very faint. So is this just increased backpressure that I am hearing? I had my Dad listen to it and he said it sounded normal to him. I also had my buddy listen to it and he said that it sounded like an exhaust leak. I really don't notice any power loss though.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I checked the clamps to the Y-Pipe and Exhaust Down Pipe today and they seemed tight and I donít see any black soot. I also checked all the Turbine Housing Bolts that I could see and didnít see any that were backing out.
I am still curious about what it could possibly be that is causing this exhaust leak sound, so I took a mirror again and found a very small amount of soot that outlined the exhaust back pressure shaft on the exhaust side of the turbo. This time I took a picture of it so that you guys can see what I am talking about. I am wondering if this is what is causing the noise and if the soot outlining the exhaust back pressure shaft is normal. Anyone?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I checked the exhaust manifolds today and I found some soot, so I am sure this must be where the noise is coming from. Also, I don't have my shop manual with me what do the bolt/nuts get torqued to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.