2002 HPOP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 HPOP

I have a 2002 ford f-350 it has been leaking oil pretty bad. It has been coming out from between the bell housing guard and the block. I took it to the dealer to get a repair estimate and they said the oil was coming from the HPOP out of the so called irremovable bolt on the bottom side of the pump out of sight. I can see the oil gathered on the intake under the pump. I am sure it is not coming from any of the oil lines off the pump. what is the best method of repair new, reman or aftermarket? I will be upgrading the turbo, injectors and most likely nitrous or propane would it be better to go to aftermarket and if so which one? I just purchased the truck not to long ago so the mods are down the road for now I am trying to spend less than $1000 I have recieved prices on a reman for 400 a new bosch for 550 and repairing the existing one for less than a 100 whats the best option I dont know???Is the R&R simple??? are there any special tools needed???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

If you going to upgrade your injectors down the road then it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your HPOP while it's out. If your looking for cheap check out the adrenaline HPOP, if your looking for big power then check out the terminator twin pump or the stealth pump. The adrenaline is around 600, the terminator is about 3000 and the stealth is about 1500 for the stage 1 (3500 for the stage 3). I like the stealth pump because it is upgradeable so if you don't need big oil now you get the stage one, but if you go to big injectors then you can upgrade it to a stge 2 or 3. FYI I got these prices by doing a quick google on each, you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere.

As for removing the HPOP it is pritty straight forward, you have to take off the fuel bowl, the intake y-pipe, and the oil resivor. If you want more info on removing the pump say so, I just gave a quick overview. The only tool you will "need" is an oil line removal tool. It's a 1/8 piece of flat steel with a notch cut in one end, and it pushes back a rubber fitting that holds the two lines to the pump, you could probably make your own or just carefully use a screwdriver. Like I said it's not to hard, It will take a novice 6-8 hours tho.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
If you going to upgrade your injectors down the road then it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your HPOP while it's out. If your looking for cheap check out the adrenaline HPOP, if your looking for big power then check out the terminator twin pump or the stealth pump. The adrenaline is around 600, the terminator is about 3000 and the stealth is about 1500 for the stage 1 (3500 for the stage 3). I like the stealth pump because it is upgradeable so if you don't need big oil now you get the stage one, but if you go to big injectors then you can upgrade it to a stge 2 or 3. FYI I got these prices by doing a quick google on each, you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere.

As for removing the HPOP it is pritty straight forward, you have to take off the fuel bowl, the intake y-pipe, and the oil resivor. If you want more info on removing the pump say so, I just gave a quick overview. The only tool you will "need" is an oil line removal tool. It's a 1/8 piece of flat steel with a notch cut in one end, and it pushes back a rubber fitting that holds the two lines to the pump, you could probably make your own or just carefully use a screwdriver. Like I said it's not to hard, It will take a novice 6-8 hours tho.
Any Info you could provide would me much appreciated. I just purchased the truck and the dealer said it had a 90 day warranty along with it and after I sent them the repair estimate they said they would only pay for half of it which leaves me about a grand to work with. I have done quite a bit of work on my mustangs, so I know my way around the engine compartment and this is my 5th stroke. The last one I installed a Borg Warner turbo along with exhaust, intake and propane so the 7.3 is some what familiar. I haven't had to really change anything else on any of the other trucks except for one alternator and a starter. Is it worth getting the oil line release tool or is it easy enough to use a flat-head screw driver.
Thanks for the help
Cory
Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

The y-pipe is pritty straight forward, theirs 4 fuel lines you will have to take off the bowl and it has two bolts that go through to oil resivor that hold it on. Next is the oil resivor, it has 5 bolts that hold it down, you'll have to get a new gasket for here. Now you'll have a big hole in your front cover that has the drive gear for your HPOP, so don't drop anyting down the front cover or you'll have big problems, so stick a few rags in it. Next you have to pull the upper hose that goes up, across the top of the engine, out of the water pump.
Now, on the front cover their is a flat cap that has two 8mm bolts in it, and also has a sensor that is mounted to it that has a pipe attached that goes down to the right exhaust manifold. Take the pipe off the sensor first before removing the plate(you don't have to remove the entire pipe, only take it off the sensor). This will alow you to acess the bolt that holds the drive gear to the pump. Remove the bolt (carefull not to drop it down the front cover) and then remove the gear (you won't need a puller). Then remove the two lines off the HPOP, then remove the two bolts that hold in the pump the remove the pump.
As for if it's woth getting the line release tool or not, its up to you, I had one when i took one off but after I saw what it was, (after we were waiting for all weekend) you probably could do it with a screwdriver but IDK. Thier only like a few $ so it migh be worth getting one to be safe.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
The y-pipe is pritty straight forward, theirs 4 fuel lines you will have to take off the bowl and it has two bolts that go through to oil resivor that hold it on. Next is the oil resivor, it has 5 bolts that hold it down, you'll have to get a new gasket for here. Now you'll have a big hole in your front cover that has the drive gear for your HPOP, so don't drop anyting down the front cover or you'll have big problems, so stick a few rags in it. Next you have to pull the upper hose that goes up, across the top of the engine, out of the water pump.
Now, on the front cover their is a flat cap that has two 8mm bolts in it, and also has a sensor that is mounted to it that has a pipe attached that goes down to the right exhaust manifold. Take the pipe off the sensor first before removing the plate(you don't have to remove the entire pipe, only take it off the sensor). This will alow you to acess the bolt that holds the drive gear to the pump. Remove the bolt (carefull not to drop it down the front cover) and then remove the gear (you won't need a puller). Then remove the two lines off the HPOP, then remove the two bolts that hold in the pump the remove the pump.
As for if it's woth getting the line release tool or not, its up to you, I had one when i took one off but after I saw what it was, (after we were waiting for all weekend) you probably could do it with a screwdriver but IDK. Thier only like a few $ so it migh be worth getting one to be safe.
One other quick question if you dont mind when I purchase the truck there was a huge drive type chain that was in a box under the rear seat it looked like it was used and it looked like a regular motor cycle chair but twice as thick and shorter in length is there any possibility that this is off the drive gear and maybe have anything to do with the oil leak because ford said that it was comming from the irremovable bolt under the pump but they could not see it
thanks for the help
Cory
Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

No, the HPOP is gear driven. No idea what the chain is for?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
No, the HPOP is gear driven. No idea what the chain is for?
Someone said it might have been the transfercase I hope there isnt anything else wrong with this truck I am going to try to research the part no. on the box
Thanks
Cory

Oh by the way I ordered the adrenaline pump I hope its as good as I hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.