Oil Filter Problem! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Filter Problem!

I just pulled the oil filter off of my new to me 99 f350 for the first time. After the filter was removed, I could see a spring hanging out of the housing that the filter screws onto. The spring is about 1/2 inch diameter and maybe 2 inches long. It was halfway in a sleeve in the housing that it looks like it was designed to fit into. This sleeve is right next to the center oil passage of the housing. My question is should something be holding this spring in the housing? It does not seem like it should just be sitting there. What do you guys see when you remove your filter? Thanks, -Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can see the hole that the spring was in in this picture. It is the hole to the left of the center oil filter passage.

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/pics/oilchg/filter-off.jpg

Does anyone who what this smaller oil passage that I found the spring in is for? In the pic it looks like it goes up an then know knows where. Oil cooler? Pressure relief valve? Unfortunately I need my truck to drive and need to get his problem solved asap.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Honestly I don't know? Hopefully somone will chime in for ya that has the answer!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I did an oil change a couple weeks ago and I didnt have a spring that I could see hanging down. I would assume it's got a snap ring or somthing to keep it from hanging. You would think there would maybe be a check ball maybe its a one way check ball????hmm sorry I don't know.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks exactly like mine. I can't see what you're talking about to be honest. Could you circle it in white and repost the pic?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This shows where the spring was hanging out. The spring fits right into that hole so I assume its supposed to be there. My question is what else is supposed to be there with it? And where does that oil passageway lead to?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Filter Problem!-filter-off-edited.jpg  
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil Cooler overhaul pics pictures from cars photos on webshots

This site shows some pics of the area i am talking about. He says it is an oil filter relief valve with a circlip holding it in. My truck has no groove to hold a circlip. maybe it is supposed to press in? I just want to know if it is safe to run the truck without this valve. Obviously the truck has been running like this since before I bought it.

Last edited by hustler900; 03-14-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had to replace the orings in an oil cooler recently. After I put it back together, the truck would not run any oil pressure. The spring and retainer were missing. There is 2 valves, there is also one on the back side against the block, I think the one you are missing is a bypass valve for the filter. The oil will probably not go though the filter without this piece. I was also told that the cooler head is not servicable and has to be replaced. I didn't do much checking because I had another one.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I called the local ford dealer and they told me the only part that goes in that hole is the spring, nothing else . So i go to put the filter back on with the spring and find the 2 other parts that do hold the spring in laying on the floor. They must have bounced out when i took the filter off. So much for getting any useful information from the dealer . Turns out that it is a pressure relief valve for the oil filter. I put the two parts back in and peened them around the edge to hold them in place. It looks like the oil filter housing has been updated as a new part with a c-clip to hold the parts in place. Maybe this is a common problem? Hopefully they will stay in place from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.