2001 7.3 wont start while cranking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 wont start while cranking

I cant get my 7.3 to start it cranks over r.p.ms are all guages work wait start works...etc but while cranking it makes a buzzing noise under the dash by my feet? what could be the issue. i had to charge my batteries casue they got run dead and found out one of them was bad and wouldnt take a charge. I bought a fuel filter and was going to replace it, opened water fuel separator and drained it its been a year exactly for the filter change and temps been around 45 50 degrees in the mournings i dont get it. please any suggestions? why there is a buzzing noise in the past its happened to me i would just turn key on and off couple of times and then it would start, this time it left me sitting in the drive please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

The PCM (Power Control Module) is under the dash next to the parking brake. Left to right - Kick panel, parking brake assembly, PCM (Box roughly 6" square, 1-1 1/2" inches thick, standing verticle.) Once you find it, put your hand on it while cranking to see if its buzzing. PCM could be an issue.

Mine died about 2 1/2 months ago - I got nothing no Wait to Start, no fuel pump....dead.

Has your truck had the CPS (crank position sensor) changed? There is a recall for these and it "Potentially" could be it. If the PCM doesn't see input from the CPS the truck won't run.

Just some suggestions. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

pcm

could that one bad battery cause that box to buzz i cant try it yet still waiting on a battery this morning but i am sitting ouside right now looking over the truck and waiting on replys so i can check on stuff as you guys give me tips...lol
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

When my batteries went bad....ever once in a while it would just crank until the batts were dead. No start. Replaced my both batteries - All good ever since. I don't recall any buzzing when that would happen. BUT, I've seen weird things happen with vehicles. It's possible I suppose.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cps

if there is a recall on it do i have to pay out of pocket for it? i bought the truck used last feb it been almost a year ago ? maybe its a dum question but i would like to know
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Nope - Free.

You can probably call a dealer with your VIN to see if the truck had been in for it.

If you bought it from a private party it may not have been done.
If you bought it from a dealerr, they may have done all the updating.

Still worth checking it out.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

water fuel separator

i am going to be changing out the filter in twenty or so, now i read and heard of dringing the water fuel separator. I found the yellow lever and opened it and diesel poured out onto the ground i did this for ten seconds then turned the lever back. I opened up the filter housing and it drained the fuel out. I am thinking before i put the new one in i am going to fill the housing back up with fresh diesel then install the new filter. Is this the process? i am scrared of getting air into the fuel system ? if this is not the proper way then what is? i have never drained the water fuel separator ever ? so do i leave it empty and put filter in or do what i think is correct??...lol
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i bought it from a mom and pop shop i doubt they did
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

I do what you described. After the lid is back on, I turn the key to on a couple of times without starting. The fuel pump will prime the system. Usually starts right up after that.

You're probably right - Mom/Pop may not have known to check.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was going to get a cup of diesel and pour it into the housing with cap off. then install the fliter. But if the truck can prime its self then i will just put the filter in and turn key with out starting it a couple of times and let it do its our work then if thats what you do then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.