7.3 Solution Finally!!! Must Read.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 7.3 Solution Finally!!! Must Read..

Just went through the wringer with my 2002 f350 7.3 PD truck. It all started when the engine light came on. Next, the truck became VERY sluggish and sounded like it was going to roll over and die. Black smoke bellowed from the pipe and I was ready to say my good-bye's to an old friend.
I called every diesal mechanic I could find and googled until my fingers bled trying to locate the problem my truck was having. I heard everything from bad gas to bad fuel pump, bad injectors, bad sensors (ICP & ICR) bad egr valve, bad this, bad that. MONEY MONEY AND MORE MONEY!! Determined to fix the problem myself, I pulled all the sensors and cleaned them, bought a code reader (Which said no dtc's were detected) changed all the filters, etc. Stil the truck coughed, shook, and sputtered like it had the swine flu. While the truck was running, I decided to check wires and vacuum hoses. When I reached below the turbo tubes and pressed on the wiring harness that houses the wires for the sensors, a strange thing happened.. The truck came back to life!! All this time it was as simple as cleaning the clip then re-attaching it. Saved hundreds, if not thousands of dollars by doing this. Can't help but wonder how many others with the same problem had to fork over tons of cash to these dealers or mechanics replacing perfectly good sensors, valves, etc. Lesson learned. I took pictures along the way so if anyone is curious, I can send them'
Glad to have my baby back!!
David Ray
ditchdigger76@yahoo.com

Last edited by ditchdigger76; 10-22-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: misspelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The wires that go into the valvecovers? Those are called the under valve cover harnesses. The loose connector is a pretty common problem. You would also probably have seen the code for it if you had a powerstroke capable scan tool. Most scanners only retrieve basic codes. The diesels need a scanner that has "ford enhanced" capability.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad to see you got it all fixed
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm glad you got your baby back instead of junkin her. Your story will allow me to not give up hope if something ever happens to my 7.3.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep, its amazing what you can fix yourself by spending a little time under the hood just checking stuff out. Good work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.