Brake problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake problem

Hey guys, I have a problem with my ex that has me concerned. Yesterday I was hauling a car trailer with a small-medium size car on it. Hauled it about 30-40 minutes away on roads that average speed was 50. Well, I started slowing down for a turn, and the pedal went to the floor, pumped again, still nothing, third pump I started feeling some resistance, but still no where near what it should be.

My game plan now is new rotors and pads all the way around, and fresh brake fluid. Going to suck all the old fluid out with a power bleeder on all 4 corners. Anything else I should do, or look at? I'm about to leave for a road trip, so I want all my concerns addressed before I leave.

The part that has me concerned, is that I looked at the pads, and I have bare minimum 40% of the pad left all the way around, and my brake fluid is about half full.

My thoughts is that it's old OEM fluid, and is overdue for a change. With lower viscosity due to age, I may have boiled the fluid in a caliper or two. Would you guys agree? If so, am I taking the right action? Anything else you'd look into? Is it a sign that the master is going bad? Or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Need a little more info.

Is the brake warning light on? Do you have a "hard" pedal, that is the vehicle will stop but fees like no power brakes? Do you hear a ticking noise from the left front of the engine?

All of the above are symptons of the vaccuum pump going bad.

I had to replaced my vaccuum pump about every 150,000 miles and every time it had one of the above symptoms.

Jim
Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM

wonder if you have air in the lines at all. thats a scary feeling when your brake pedal does that. hopefully you find the problem.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Mileage Jim View Post
Need a little more info.

Is the brake warning light on? Do you have a "hard" pedal, that is the vehicle will stop but fees like no power brakes? Do you hear a ticking noise from the left front of the engine?

I had to replaced my vaccuum pump about every 150,000 miles and every time it had one of the above symptoms.

Jim
Well, now that you mention that, I also have a problem with my heater controls not changing the outlets from the windshield to the other setting, this also may have something to do with the vacuum pump.

No brake warning light. No hard pedal, she just went soft to the floor. Ever since, brakes have been fine. No ticking noise. If your asking if I can hear the vac pump when I start it, yes I can.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Well for one this truck uses a hydro booster. So replacing a vacuum pump would do nothing for his brakes.

How is your powersteering, does it work good. Is it low in fluid. Do you see any leaks of brake fluid or powersteering fluid. With the pedal going to the floor and needing to be pumped up. That tells me you are loosing pressure in your brake system. So I would be looking for leaking brake fluid.

Being your pads are worn equally I don't think it is at your brake caliper.

I would look at your master cylinder as well.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstoyz View Post
wonder if you have air in the lines at all. thats a scary feeling when your brake pedal does that. hopefully you find the problem.
Yeah. Happened in another car I drove when I was a teen at the MOST inopportune time. Needless to say that was the last day that car was on the road.

Had flashbacks of that night when it happened in the ex, and I'm doing everything I can on Tuesday to correct it. No way in hell is that going to happen again.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Well for one this truck uses a hydro booster. So replacing a vacuum pump would do nothing for his brakes.

How is your powersteering, does it work good. Is it low in fluid. Do you see any leaks of brake fluid or powersteering fluid. With the pedal going to the floor and needing to be pumped up. That tells me you are loosing pressure in your brake system. So I would be looking for leaking brake fluid.

Being your pads are worn equally I don't think it is at your brake caliper.

I would look at your master cylinder as well.
Powersteering semms ok. Sometimes have a buzzing sound when turning the wheel though. She's not leaving any marks at all when she's parked. I'll check the power steering fluid first thing in the morning.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Mileage Jim View Post
Need a little more info.

Jim

I think I'm having this problem now. I woke up this morning, started my truck, and noticed the ! BRAKE light came on in the dash, and my pedal went straight to the floor.

If I floor the brake pedal, the truck will slow down and stop, but there's very little to no resistance when pressing on it.

I didn't notice a ticking noise, but the other symptoms match.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1911 View Post
I think I'm having this problem now. I woke up this morning, started my truck, and noticed the ! BRAKE light came on in the dash, and my pedal went straight to the floor.

If I floor the brake pedal, the truck will slow down and stop, but there's very little to no resistance when pressing on it.

I didn't notice a ticking noise, but the other symptoms match.
Check power steering fluid, the brakes are hydro assist, and run off the power steering. Also, when you turn the key on, you should hear the vacuum pump before starting. Also, I hate to be captain obvious, but check on the ground for wet spots.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If your pedal wen to the floor you have a problem in the Master Cylinder or Hydroboost system. If your PS is ok I would replace the master cylinder. Changing the pads and fluid ain't going to help this problem!!! Although the fluid should be flushed every two years and brake fluid collects water and the water will settle at the calipers. While you are at it I would also lube the slide pins on the calipers, something that most owners fail to do until they are frozen. This isn't part of your problem but should be done.
On another note, your vent only blowing out the defrost is a sign of a vacuum leak, you probably don't have 4x4 unless you manually lock the hubs either. The most common place is at the back of each hub where the vacuum line slips on to the nipple, the hose gets cracked or split and won't hold vacuum, cut off the damaged area and push back onto the nipple. Another place is the pass footwell there is a vacuum line that can get kicked loose. You have some problems that need to be addressed. PM me with any ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.