Another Hard Start ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Hard Start ?

hey guys, well as you can tell i am new to PSD! This is my first one.
I have a 99 (not sure if its an early one or not) 4x4 extended cab, auto trans, and the muffler has been removed. I have 180k on it. Now a few weeks ago once overnight temps got below 45-50 degrees i have had a hard time starting. I will turn key on and "wait" then start it, however it will just crank. after about 10 sec of cranking i turn the key off, wait about 10 sec then turn key back on and same thing. After the 2nd time i start to notice white smoke comming out of the tail pipe. by the time i get to the 4th "cycle" of trying to start it will finaly fire. Once it starts it smokes (mostly white, with a slight tint of blue) quite a bit then after about a min of run time the smoke stops. Now, I have tried somthing, and i hope someone can shed a little light on this. I parked in the driveway so i could plug in. I went out the next morn it was about 38 degrees or so (below 40), the truck started right up, no smoke what so ever, and my temp gauge was already up. Now i understand that this is because it was pluged in, my ? is, could there be a prob some where? It dosent seem right to have to plug in below 50, I can see 20 degrees or so. Or is this just due to me not knowing much about PSD?
sorry for such a long post, but i wanted to make sure i was giving as much detail as pos. thanks for any help/input.
scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM

oh yeah, one more thing, is it ok to keep truck pluged in longer than just overnight. mine has been pluged in since fri afternoon. I havent started the truck since. Can this be an issue?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
This is a link to a thread with the glow plug relay location
Glow Plug / AIH Relay locations

Take a test light and check across both large sides for positive battery voltage. One side will only turn on after the key has been turned to the run position.

If you have a voltmeter do the same and check the voltage on the side that only comes on with the key on. If it reads less than 11 volts replace the relay
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

let me know what ya find out, i got the same exact problem, replaced the glow plug solenoid even though it check out fine with a multimeter and now it starts easier. mine misses though when it starts till i take it down the highway and hit 3 grand then it clears out. thinkin i got bad injector o rings or gettin air in the hpop check valve after it sits overnight.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mines also a 99 but a crew cab dually automatic, not sure what build month.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:12 PM

hey thanks for the info, i will check the relay out tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.