Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is my torque converter going bad??

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Brydawg512 
#1 ·
Hope everyone had a good Tuesday!

So, recently I have been hearing a rapid ticking noise that I can hear when driving around town (25+ mph) and it becomes more pronounced at higher speeds when I let off the accelerator and coast. The ticking will begin to become more pronounced at the lower speeds, but as soon as it shifts it quiets down a bit.. then it'll do this through the other gears as well, up until overdrive kicks in at about 40 mph. However if I am coasting at 60+ mph, the ticking can be heard again, but not if I am on the accelerator enough.

Anyhow.. Today I noticed something new that may help with the diagnosis of this EXTREMELY annoying ticking problem. So, when I am driving at about 30 mph my truck will shift and the RPMs will drop to a consistent 1300 or 1400 RPM. When I am in this driving condition, if I let off, and tap the accelerator, a sort of hollow sounding smack/pop sound will be heard and the truck lurches just a little bit.

The best way to describe the sound would be as follows:

Imagine an "X" shaped blade or propeller of some sort, and then imagine some hard object that could not be moved (block of concrete, metal beam, etc.) in between one of the propellers. Then imagine the propeller starting up, only to smack right into the hard object and not be able to fully rotate in that direction. This is kind of the best explanation that I can give.. and no, I am not on drugs, this is just the way in which I thought would be best to describe this sound lol :D

Does this sound like it could be my torque converter going bad? Especially with the ticking noise, and now this sound?

Please let me know what you think! Any help would be much appreciated in solving this issue.. The last thing I need is my torque convertor to go out on me without much of a warning. I'd rather get it fixed before it turns into more of a problem.

Thank you in advance!
- Bryant :ford:

See less See more
#2 ·
When my torque converter went out it sounded like a rattling sound, almost like a flex plate coming loose. A ticking sound is sometimes a exhaust leak, check you're up pipe's for soot. Another thing is my RPM's would fluctuate when shifting into 4th gear, it was slipping.

#3 ·
Yeah, I had my up pipes redone with some International bellowed ones, so I don't have any leaks to my knowledge. What exactly does a flex plate sound like when it's loose? I'm just checking because your "rattling" may be my "ticking" lol :)

#4 ·
I had a lower pipe start to leak after I did the int'l ones. CHeck all the connections and adjust clamps if necessary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.