Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stalling issues

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Wboilard 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So earlier this week I started having an issue with my 2003 F250. I was on my way home from about a 70 mile trip, and my truck started to buck while driving at about 50MPH. (it will now buck at any RPM or MPH) A few minutes later it stalled out completely. After it stalls, it will start right back up. It does throw a CEL, but upon restarting the truck it goes away immediately. It will stall at any given time, any RPM; doesn't matter. I replaced the CPS, didn't do anything. I replaced the ICP and cleaned the wire harness (Had a boat load of oil in it) and it ran great for a day. Now here I am, with the engine stalling out again. I've replaced the CPS again with another Borg Warner (figured maybe I got a dud out of the box?) haven't had time to drive it yet. I do not have access to an AE or anything of the sort. I've taken it to O'rilley and Advance, neither of them can read anything, and they say nothing is stored. Of course, I suspect that there IS something stored, but their genaric OBDII readers can't pick it up.

I'm no mechanic by any means, and this is the first diesel truck I've owned. I'm learning as I go, and would appreciate any input that could possibly help me narrow down the culprit.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:

So I took the truck in to the mechanic. They pulled a store CPS code and said there are some stored transfer case, but didn't say which codes. I had him clear out the codes and when the problem happens again, I'll bring it back so we can read them again.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
So first, you really should invest in something to retrieve codes from your PCM yourself. This can be done really inexpensively....

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...n/1044057-ford-superduty-diagnosis-cheap.html

Second, and I now do all I can to dispel the "Myth" that an oily electrical plug is a problem (no need to clean the oil from it, it's actually a benefit to the connection) BUT, on an ICP sensor it could be an indication that the sensors internal seals are starting to fail.

So, we know it has nothing to do with the TC ;) maybe that CPS code is a help. I Never use aftermarket sensors in my truck, the majority of them are problematic. If the CPS code returns go to either Ford or IH for the replacement.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply Ralph. I have to work tomorrow in an area about two hours away from home. I usually drive about 250-300 miles a day for work. I'm sure the problem will return tomorrow at some point in the day. Once it does, I'll be taking it back down to the mechanic and having them pull the codes again. If it is indeed the CPS again then I will order a new one. I've never had to order a part from IH, is there a certain website? Or do I need to find a dealer in my area? I'll also look at that thread you linked. Thanks for the info! :smile2:

Bill

#12 ·
Well you're in a kind of "7.3 only" forum here. The 6.0 is a completely different beast (at least We feel that way.... ;))

Do your research in the 6.0 Forum, you'd have more pertinent results and a better place for people who know the engine better than most of us do maybe (you've all that FICM voltage stuff to worry about that might be effecting the Injectors).

Ford 03-07 6.0L Powerstroke Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

#11 · (Edited)
Any specific wires or harnesses I should look at? I thought about taking a look at the UVCH, but I read somewhere that ford has updated harnesses on the 2003s which would make the 50cent mod not needed. Is that accurate? I would hate to spend hours pulling my front end apart to get into this, just to find out that it wasn't necessary.

Also, upon further inspection of the CPS sensor, it seems the pull tab clip that holds the electrical connector onto the sensor is broken. It still sits snugly in the sensor and doesn't move or anything, but it doesn't "clip" in so to speak. I'll get this replaced as well. Could this be the problem? It doesn't look like it's a new break, it looks like it's been this way for quite some time. I just bought the truck last December, so I'm having to do all of the maintenance that the previous owner neglected to do.

#16 ·
Okay, so I haven't had time yet to research the two codes. I just wanted to pop on with an update. After driving it all day today, it never stalled until I got home. When I threw the truck in reverse it stalled out immediately. So I tested this for a little bit. When ever I shift to reverse, it dies almost instantly when I go to accelerate. Odd?

#18 ·
I will check that out tomorrow. Based on the codes that were thrown, would you say to replace the PCM? I replaced the CPS twice already, but still get the electrical connection code for the cps thrown. Should I replace this again with one from ford or IH? Or could I be getting that code because the PCM needs replaced?

#23 ·
I'll get over to ford today and buy a new CPS. We'll see if that's the problem first. My USB OBDII cable should be here soon... Where the heck is that thing..? Time to check tracking.

And yes, it is certainly scary. It seems to happen when I throw it in reverse, or whenever I'm coasting to a stop/slow down. Happens on exit ramps and at red lights ALL the time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.