Arrrgh, need some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrrgh, need some help

I have a '02 f350 I purchased from my neighbor 6 months ago. It ran great 2 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I had the CPS replaced at ford, when I picked it up it seem to idle rougher and seem to lack the power it had when I dropped it off in the morning. It had a #4, #5, #8 contribution failure codes stored, so I replaced the CPS with a "black" CPS from international. It seem to idle better but #4 still fails the contribution test and rotational velosity bounces between 0-18% so I'm thinking # 4 injector is going bad, # 5 will bounce up to 8-10% but they are next to each other in the firing order so I'm thinking its #4 affecting #5. So I got a new injector, but before i had a chance to replace it I lost oil pressure on the factory gauge, I replaced the sending unit on top of HPOP res. still no pressure. When the oil pressure gauge started acting up the trans gauge started acting weird also, when I start the truck it comes up to the bottom of the scale and withing 30 seconds it is 3/4 up the scale. I have a Genisys scanner, trans temp showed 59* at the bottom of the scale and when it went to 3/4 the fluid was only 68*. The oil level stays the same in the HPOP res. about 1/4-1/2" below the filler plug after starting and after sitting for 10 hours. I tried changing the oil, I cut the filter open and looked for any bearing material, it was clean. I changed the low pressure oil pump, it had more play in the housing then the new one, but still not enough to move the gauge, there were no marks on the timing cover, where it may have been grinding the cover and losing pressure. The guy i bought it from changed the oil every 4000 miles with rotella and a wix filter (has the recipts to prove it) ICP is 550-625 at idle and will climb to over 1500 psi just reving in neutral. I tried adding a quart of oil and jacking the rear of the truck up, no change in pressure. Also the turbo makes a "gurgling" sound when you let off the gas, almost like wastegate is no opening fast enough to vent pressure and its rattling the turbo. The turbo shaft spins free and there is no movement in the shaft. I know it need a # 4 injector based on rotational velostiy readings, but I want/need to fix the oil pressure problem first. So far I have checked/changed

CPS with international part
Oil pressure sending unit for the gauge
LP oil pump, and check cover for wear
Added a quart of oil and jacked the rear of the truck
Oil level in HPOP res. hot/cold
verified ICP pressure idling and reving

Do the clusters in these trucks go bad? Any known electrical issues with oil pressure/trans temp wiring harness? Does the wiring go directly to the cluster or does it go through a module? I have alot of automotive experiance but this is my first diesel and first Ford, so I'm going over the basics but need a little more insight from a pro, any help/ideas would be appriciated, thanks

Rob

Sorry for the long post, just tring to give you as much info as possible, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

might be a PCM issue?? I am bumping this for you.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Man I am sorry I can offer no help at all, but Welcome to the Addiction um I mean Org anyway! Maybe a techie will be by shortly to supply your need. Here is a morning to help keep your post active.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is that the stock oil gauge you are referring too. This wont necessarily fix anything but I would highly recommend putting an after market oil pres gauge like one from Napa or Auto zone to verify that the oil is doing what your gauge says. The factory gauges can be deceptive. As an example I wanted to check my oil temp gauge for accuracy so I went and bought an aftermarket one and installed it. I have found from doing this that my stock dash gauge reads the same from110* - 230*. See what I mean. Verify first.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
Is that the stock oil gauge you are referring too. This wont necessarily fix anything but I would highly recommend putting an after market oil pres gauge like one from Napa or Auto zone to verify that the oil is doing what your gauge says. The factory gauges can be deceptive. As an example I wanted to check my oil temp gauge for accuracy so I went and bought an aftermarket one and installed it. I have found from doing this that my stock dash gauge reads the same from110* - 230*. See what I mean. Verify first.
Yes, I am reading off the stock gauge, i am planning on putting gauges on the pillar. Is there a pressure port to tap into for a mechanical gauge down near the oil filter housing. Also when I changed the oil I checked the pressure releif valve and it seen to move freely and was not stuck.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im thinking it something electrical since both gauges are acting up, and oil level in HPOP res. is staying the same.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmonkey View Post
Yes, I am reading off the stock gauge, i am planning on putting gauges on the pillar. Is there a pressure port to tap into for a mechanical gauge down near the oil filter housing. Also when I changed the oil I checked the pressure releif valve and it seen to move freely and was not stuck.
Yes there is. I tapped in to a port just in front and up from the oil filter housing. It is a 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet head plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostmonkey View Post
Im thinking it something electrical since both gauges are acting up, and oil level in HPOP res. is staying the same.
Could be. As said before it could be the PCM acting up but I do not know how to test that.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
Yes there is. I tapped in to a port just in front and up from the oil filter housing. It is a 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet head plug.

I'll check my pressure tonight with a mechanic gauge, whats normal? 20-30 cold?

Could be. As said before it could be the PCM acting up but I do not know how to test that.
I do have a P0603 KAM memory code, but I think thats from changing the batterys when I got the truck.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

0603 can be a chip code too.....you have a chip on the truck?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
0603 can be a chip code too.....you have a chip on the truck?
Yeah, I run a superchips on the low setting, until I upgrade the trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.