Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

oil temps

4K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
posted this in early 99 section didnt get any responses. ill try it here. need a little insight. i have a early 99 f350 dually, 5in exhaust, diy intake.and a gt tuner running on tow setting. was towing my bronco this weekend in tx outside temp 95- 100 degrees outside. noticed my oil temp getting up to 240 degrees. engine temp running normal temp. had replaced the oil cooler a year ago. when i bought this truck the cooling sys was nasty had eaten thru the frt cover.i flushed the system several times. after repl cover. yall think that cooler is clogged up again maybe? that temp seems very high. normal driving i only remember seeing 212 degrees. update hadnt heard my clutch fan really come on lately. so i chgd it. then it rained today lowered outside temps to around 80. oil temp running 65-70 mph oil temp around 210 on drive home.
thanks
scott

#4 ·
My 2000 F350 has been running around 210-212 hauling about 3500 lbs in the bed (water tank) the outside temps have been in the mid 90s

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
I read your post and thought this is exactly was happens with my trucks. I have two '99 F350's and both have oils temps that climb when under load.

Does cooler weather temps help, yes. But that's not a fix. I watch the temps across the board and see what is happening.

The EGT is high due to high acceleration which means the turbo is heating up. The turbo is cooled by the engine oil. So the engine oil temp rises. The engine oil is cooled by the the coolant.

What I have found is that the engine needs additional cooling. All items that operate the cooling on my trucks are working correctly. Most, are new OEM parts.

I have placed an additional pushing fan to assist the OEM fan. It helps out, but still is not enough. So simply, the engine needs more cooling. That would be addressed when they produce a radiator that holds more fluid. We seriously have small radiators for the size of the engine and the amount of heat caused by using a turbo.

We only have radiators that are 2 rows! The same size engine in gasoline engines have 3-4 rows. Why isn't there aftermarket for these? If this option is available, please point me in the right direction.
The cooling system on a 7.3 is around 7 1/2 gallons. The 7.3 does not run hot, especially compared to the newer engines. The oil cooler while a different design that the 6.0/6.4 is still cooled by engine coolant, so the oil temps will always be higher than coolant temps. 210*-215* is nothing for modern oil, and like Corey said it helps burn out the condensation/crap. 240* is getting up there but as long as your oil cooler is working and it comes back down when the load is off your probably OK. If you're using synthetic oil I wouldn't be worried.

#9 ·
LOL, I did it again, answering to an old thread that somebody revived. I even posted to the OP last year. :doh:

What gear ratio do you have Justin? Mine are 4.10s and at 70 mph I'm taching about 2250 ish, my oil was around 210* the other day running 70-75 to pick up a 4 wheeler

#22 ·
#26 ·
I live in one of the hottest areas of the USA.
My oil temp doesnt get above 210 in 110* ambient temp even when pulling my 5er.
I do have brand new radiator and brand new 6.0 trans cooler,
but original oil cooler (as far as I know).
What I DO know is.... it's hot as sh!t here right now. :flamethrower: :banging:

Hope I contributed something

#27 ·
Boy that got pretty juicy. There are many reasons for running oil coolers on different engines. I have a 20HP John Deere garden tractor that's air cooled with a oil cooler. Have four Honda quads all with oil coolers and wifes X5 has a oil cooler and its a gas engine.
With the Power Stroke engines the oil is pressurized up to 4,000 psi for running the injectors and that makes heat and lots of it. Which is the main reason there are oil cooers on our diesel engines. The turbo shaft lubrication is such a tiny little load on the oil that I cant believe anyone would feel that's where all the punishment is at for the oil.
Looks like you guys squared things up here. I agree 100% with if ECT is 190 and EOT is 240 you have oil cooler issues in a big way. Sorry I missed out on this........:)

Reactions: SparkyF250
#30 ·
Also, it's there to cool the oil which accumulates MOST of its heat by the turbo.

You turn! Keep the arguement going!

Ooh ooh. I want to play.

So the motor has piston quitters that are designed to spray the under side of the pistons to keep them cool. The pistons are the same temp as the turbo so 1300 over the surface area of 8 pistons vs the surface area of the center section of the turbo. The pistons win hat by seven fold. Next when the oil is compressed from 10 psi (low pressure oil pump which had heat added to it when it was compressed but I'll leave that little bit out) up to 3000 psi. There is a ton of heat that is generated. What oil that isn't used gets pushed straight back to the pan. Which heats up the oil in a hurry. Then the oil that is used absorbs the heat from the heads as it runs throughout them and through the injectors. After the oil is discharged from the injectors it falls through the head onto the cam and then to the pan heating in the way down. So comparing the area the oil in the turbo comes in contact with the heat vs everything I've stated. The turbo does very little to heat it up.

#35 ·
Wow this thread went down hill fast.

So look up 6.9 idi and the non turbo 7.3 idi. They use the same style oil cooler as the turbo versions of the 7.3 idi and the 7.3 Powerstroke. I came with facts. But I exspect this thread to be locked here soon.

#40 ·
Wow this thread went down hill fast.

So look up 6.9 idi and the non turbo 7.3 idi. They use the same style oil cooler as the turbo versions of the 7.3 idi and the 7.3 Powerstroke. I came with facts. But I expect this thread to be locked here soon.
I tried that, I even posted pictures but that was called nonsense. I was also told not to cry to Z after I had him warn the dude about the threats & personal attacks long before he earned his vacation. :dunno:

#36 ·
Also the 6.2 and non turbo 6.5 had oil coolers. Just for reference.

#37 ·
This one is over the top... I hate having to actually moderate, yet we keep pushing the limits.

Im all for open debates and knowledge sharing but this thread has reached its limit... next go round we can just start handing out vacations.

#39 ·
#41 ·
Fatbastard? Jetjock? Very dejavu. ...

#45 ·
Miketime22 will be on a permanent Ban now

he felt it necessary to create another user and PM me some personal threats

funny thing about internet threats and wanting to meet someone in person to do them some bodily harm because your so butt hurt about an internet 7-day ban
for being a complete tool
you have no idea what your getting yourself into, and no matter how it ends it's your *** in the sling

#47 ·
I still can't figure out why people get so butt hurt over the internet. It does no good. Typing things out never come out like you want them. Oh well.

Rule number 1) never bring your feelings to the internet. They are guaranteed to be hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.