Can you guys help the new guy out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Can you guys help the new guy out?

Let me start by saying I am very impressed with this site! I just bought my first Powerstroke and I知 finding this place to be extremely informative. I知 no stranger to diesel, or the Superduty lineup. I知 a former Cummins owner, as well as a gas V-8 Superduty owner. The Dodge product I found to be poorly constructed with everything except the Cummins. I don稚 want to seem like the type of person who will only post when I have a problem and need help. I知 usually very active with forums like this one, and I was just trying to get a feel for the place when I came across a MAJOR problem.

Sorry for the long winded introduction, here it goes. I purchased a 2000 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke about a week ago from a 努holesale dealership. 93,000 miles and running AWESOME. Bone stock with no modifications, and appeared to have all the maintenance done. I scoured the truck looking for potential problems, and found some very minor issues that I could easily fix. Drove the truck from CT to NJ (about 265 miles) with no problems. Noticed about two days after the purchase there was a pretty good sized oil leak. Started doing some research, and found the most likely culprit was the pedestal rings.

After some more investigating, I discovered a much, much, much worse problem. The oil pan is actually rusted through, seeping oil from a couple spots. The dealership had sprayed several coats of undercoating spray to cover it up, and stop it from leaking long enough to get rid of it.
I知 no 兎xpert mechanic, but I have enough knowledge, and I think all the tools to pull the engine. My questions to you guys are these

#1) How much will a new oil pan from Ford cost me?

#2) Do I need to know anything before I start in regards to specialty tools, or parts?

#3) Does anybody here either have a good oil pan for sale or know anybody who does so I don稚 get clobbered by Ford?

#4) While I知 in there, what should I be replacing. I知 aware of the obvious things like Glowplugs, injector o-rings, turbo pedestal o rings, and maybe CPS. Is there anything,else I should be concered with?

I am truly hoping to keep this project under $1000. Am I crazy for thinking this? For you CT guys, are you aware of any dealership laws prohibiting the hiding of things like this? I really don稚 want to get discouraged because I love this truck, and I know it it痴 a freak issue, but I need to take care of this. I would like to thank you guys ahead of time for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 07:11 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Welcome to the site first off.

As for your leaking oil pan. You do not need to remove the engine to replace the pan. It is not that hard to do unless you forget to drain the oil. As for your leaking pedistal O-rings I have no experince with replacing them. But I think any one that is compitent and has basic knowledge of vehicle repair. As well as having at least a chiltons or haynes repair manual for there truck can take care of the job. Only you know what you are capable of doing. Take your time double check your work. Be careful do rush it and you will do just fine. If you have questions ask them. I gauruntee some one on this site can help you out.

Also as for the cps, glow plugs, and other stuff you mention. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Also that oil leak pan and pedastal o-rings should be covered under warranty, 10/100,000 mile powertrain warranty it covers the engine for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I would check into that, if it is under warranty then let the dealership techs take care of the problem for you.

Again Welcome.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
10/100,000 mile powertrain warranty it covers the engine for 10 years or 100,000 miles

Thats what i thought too but the dealer keeps tellin me its 5yr 100,000 on my 01
Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM

I just checked with the dealership and they told me the same, 5/100,000. $186.27 for the pan by the way. Much less then I thought.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:48 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

5 years and 100,000 miles is warranty coverage , as far as the oil pan goes , it can be done in the vehicle but is just as easy to pull engine ,depends on what you prefer , you can get a better seal on pan out of the vehicle ,and by the way , you need to go buy the silicone in caulk tube made just for that repair, regular silicone will not work ,motorcraft part number (TA 31),
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
5 years and 100,000 miles is warranty coverage , as far as the oil pan goes , it can be done in the vehicle but is just as easy to pull engine ,depends on what you prefer , you can get a better seal on pan out of the vehicle ,and by the way , you need to go buy the silicone in caulk tube made just for that repair, regular silicone will not work ,motorcraft part number (TA 31),
I spoke with the local parts guy and he told me the same thing. $15 a tube, wow!. Is one tube enough to get the job done?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
You can also get that silicone caulk from any international dealer as well. I am sorry for being wrong on the warranty. But the price is not that bad.

I don't see how removing the engine to do the oil pan would make the job simplier. You got alot of stuff that has to be reomved in order to remove the engine. Seems to me the job would be easier to do with the engine in.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:27 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Ditto. I'd rather do it with the motor in the truck! It's not THAT hard to lay under the truck and pull the pan...I know there is a lot of stuff down there but there is MORE involved with pulling the motor. It's a PITA to laydown and have your arms in the air for an hr or two...but better than spending a day to pull the motor.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Sounds like you've got all the advice you need from folks who are more qualified than me to give it. For what it's worth.. I agree with Ditty... seems like an awful lot of work to pull the engine. Replacing the pain in frame would have to be a very very major pita before I'd go the other direction. Hope you get it fixed quick, and in the meantime....

Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
That sucks that they covered up the oil pan leaks, i'd be going back and raising some...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.