Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 no start

912 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Pikachu 
#1 ·
So I have a customers truck that died going down the road with a trailer on. He said it just started running rough then totally died. He then tried to start it would try but not actually take off and go. It's a 2000 f350 with 7.3l. I have swapped the crank sensor with test one and nothing. I unplugged his chip ( six stage bullydog) and still the same. I was watching the Icp with scanner and while cranking it goes to 44% and over 2000psi. I swapped with a new one and it started ran for a few seconds and is now back to the same thing. The fuel pressure is close to 70psi at the pump. It smokes very heavy while cranking but will not start. I was wondering if anyone had an idea??

#4 ·
I should have also asked what the ICP voltage is with key on, engine off. It should be about 0.2 volts or so . . .

Based on the numbers, the HPOP is pumping and the IPR valve is closing normally, so the PCM is sending a fuel delivery command signal to the IDM. Have you/can you run an injector buzz test?

#6 ·
You're not out of fuel are you? :look:

#7 ·
That's a good question, actually. I see the fuel pressure reading was at the pump. Was the gauge teed in to the line, or was the line deadheaded into the gauge? How much fuel is in the tank?

#9 ·
OK, so we know there's sufficient ICP, sufficient fuel pressure, and a fuel delivery command signal is being sent and the IDM is responding to it. The truck should be running, based on the information you've posted. I'm trying to come up with possible reasons it isn't starting. About the only thing we don't know is post-filter fuel pressure, but these engines should at least start and idle at nearly zero fuel pressure. Has the filter been checked/replaced? Is the RPM reading on the scan tool consistent while cranking?

#10 ·
So an update on what I have going on. I went to turn engine over and watch data on scanner and it locked up I pulled the glow plugs and bumped over and number two cylinder was filled with fuel. I pulled the injector and it looks like compression was getting by the copper washer and burned the o-ring on the injector. Would a new cup and o-ring kit possibly fix the problem or would you think that I have more issues that need to be addressed?

#11 ·
New sleeve and injector, at least. I'd ask if there was any rough running/misfire before it died and if there was, I might suggest replacing all 4 injectors on that bank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.