Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Brakes hanging up...again...

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  03machstock 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I replaced my front brake calipers and hoses with rebuilt calipers within the last year and they are dragging again. I did all new balljoints/u joints/ brake pads/rotors/wheel bearings(upgraded to late 99) two weeks ago and drove the truck for a week and then it sat for a week in the rain and now it's hanging up again. The truck sits outside and sometimes sits for a month between me driving it. I have to take it apart to see what it is but last time I used rebuilt calipers from the parts store. If it is calipers again, does anyone run aftermarket upgrades? Any suggestions on keeping this from happening? Truck is an e99 with the late 99 brake/bearing swap.

UPDATE: so I took everything apart, slide pins were good, brake calipers were not locked up but the pistons would not depress unless I cracked the bleeders so it's something further up. I put it all back together to go for a drive and eventually the brakes start hanging up again. The peddle is soft at the top and then gets hard the rest of the way. I'm thinking it's either the master cylinder or brake booster. I found a very small amount of fluid on the Boot of the brake pedal rod on the inside of the cab, don't know if that's related or not. Ps it's all four brakes locking up.
UPDATE: see post 11 problem fixed (so far so good)

#2 ·
Caliper drag, in our trucks, has Much more to do with the "slide pins" in the caliper bracket than it does the calipers pistons sticking. Who's calipers are they? Can you confirm if there Is a stuck piston by taking it off and pressurizing it to see if one piston is stuck?

#3 ·
Join the club,
In the past 2 years I've replaced every caliper once, the driver front 2x. Only once it was the slide pins. The cheap o autozone ones have a warrenty so I just swap em for free when they go.

#4 ·
I have to pull them off and check but the first tin earl round it was stuck pistons. Any aftermarket options or maintenence tips if it is the calipers again? I know grease the slide pins if it ends up being them but it shouldn't be this time.

#7 ·
If it is letting go when you open the bleeder then I would say brake line.

By brake line I mean the brake hose that connects to the caliper.

#8 ·
Yea that would make sense, I replaced them when I did the calipers but anything could happen I guess, I'll check them out while I have the brake system all apart and maby buy them from ford this time around.

Reactions: waggonerj
#9 ·
Still have to fix the line, but I was thinking, do you guys think maby it could be a master cylinder problem?

#11 ·
I replaced the master cylinder and so far so good!, still need to flush the powersteering system to try to help smooth things out, but brakes are no longer locked up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.