Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

01 7.3 F250 need help

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  j.osbourn 
#1 ·
HI everyone,
I just recently bought my first diesel truck so I'm new to all this. I have been pouring over forums and posts for days now.. I have a 2001 F250 7.3 with 220k on it. Heres what happens. When you start from a full stop, the truck shifts firm from 1-2, then 2-3 from 3 to convertor lock up it gets soft and by the time it gets to 4 it slides in. If you're in 3rd before lock up,it will not shift unless you either push the throttle harder. Now while all of this is going on, the truck never boosts over 12 psi(WOT). How do you get an overboost code at 12 PSI? Some other numbers my EBP PSI is 15 while idling, never goes above 19-20 when driving. I also have no take off power and boost never gets over 5-7 on take off. once running 60mph I have no acceleration and will not build boost unless I lean heavy on the throttle either. I have check and tighted my CAC hoses and adressed the ebp sensor plugged up. my MAP and EBP psi are both 15 when not running with key on and mirror one another as I drive. yet I still pop and occasional ebp circuit malfunction code. I believe it is p0470. I also randomly get p1248 and p1211 codes though not often and usually only when I am near WOT. I have checked the compessor wheel also, it's clean, not worn, spins freely, and has very very little shaft play. I'm running a ts6 and an edge insight monitoring system. Please help I have seen many posts similar but no one seems to have posted the solution as of yet.

Thank you

See less See more
#6 ·
Have you looked for pre turbo exhaust leaks? If you aren't seeing EBP that would make sense to me...

Oil temp on mine gets to around 150° and stays there. I live in Wisconsin and haven't towed heavy, but I wouldn't worry about the oil temp. If you are saying the heater won't blow warm, that's a different issue.

Making a boost leak checker may be another good option?

#7 ·
No the heater blows very warm, but the coolant temp gauge never gets past the point where it is on the gauges. I do not have a boost tester but I have went through and tightened all the cac boots from the intercooler and from turbo to the manifold. The ebp code only comes up sometimes and it's generally the p0470 circuit malfunction when it does. I tend to only throw the low boost code when I turn to 75+ hp tunes which is understandable I suppose since it's obviously not producing proper boost. I did get up 8 lbs at 2500 rpm on take off today after changing fuel filter and blowing out my airfilter. I forgot to mention the numbers in the pictures are at stock tune. I can set my insight up to monitor others if there's something that may help troubleshoot further.

#8 ·
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-general-discussion/988842-high-egts-my-2001-a.html

post #5 has the instructional video for the boost leak tester.

I'd look for soot on the up pipes. That would show an exhaust leak.

The temp gauge is essentially a dummy light I believe. it has a separate temp sender that isn't hooked into the PCM at all. That gauge isn't proportionate to coolant temp, it reads cold, okay, overheat.

Do you know that the pigtail for the EBP sensor is in good shape? I've had a 6.0 occasionally loose connection because the pigtail was damaged.

#9 ·
The pigtail on the ebp looked ok when I changed the sensor and unclogled the tube. I will recheck the connection to be certain. So the coolant temp on these isn't feed via the pcm thus not commanding parameter changes for temp? It's a stand alone gauge? Thank you for the video, we are expecting some snowy weather over the next few days and the truck is to tall for my garage with the lift and tires I'm running. I'll check up pipes as soon as possible.

#10 ·
I may be mixing 6.0 and 7.3 intel up, but, I believe there are 2 coolant temp sending units. One for the gauge and one for the PCM.

#11 ·
The 7.3 pcm doesn't read the coolant temp except if it's a standard. So it just goes from the sender to the gauge. Pcm monitors oil temp though.

Reactions: BrewTown
#13 ·
Correct. It will defuel if the temp get too high.

#14 ·
I've been thinking that I have a ebpv problem, if that's not opening and closing properly it would cause low boost and low power accompanied by a wooshing sound and a constant hiss afterwards under acceleration as well as give the p0470, p1211, p1238, and p1248 codes right? Could this explain why the codes are random and sparatic as well as my power and boost issues?

#16 ·
Changed CA intake this morning started the truck and noticed it wasn't making the same ebpv noises I've seen and heard in countless videos, so I whipped out my handy dandy flash light and sure enough there it was stuck almost completely closed.. placed a wooden rod on the actuator and tapped with a hammer a couple of times.. it popped closed and started moving.. low and behold all seems well in the world. Seriously nice ebpv cold start noise, 17lbs of boost WOT(still a tad low I think), power restored and tranny shifting as it should other than it seems the TC releases and relocks under heavy throttle in 4th. Thank you for all the help and patience. Any ideas or suggestions on the tranny?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.