Tach install?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tach install??

hey guys (and gals)
Got a question here. Hopefully my e550 will someday actually be fixed (not holding my breath here for that one) ..aside from that, I've finished making a guage pod (4 guages) to mount atop the dash. I've ordered a tachometer and was wondering...just how and what I connect the wires to? I'm assuming here that a tach for a gas engine will function as well, just connects differently. Was told by the so-called "tech" at Allegheny Ford that they're basically all the same and that it would connect to the CPS lead(s), but failed, like on so many OTHER things) to specify WHICH one. Could use some advice on this one. (also will be ordering an EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp). Also, just as a point of info for my benefit...what should the boost be running when just easing down the road, and/or just idleing? Seems when they took it for a test drive, it was only running @ about 3-5 PSI...just seems kinda low to me.

Last edited by howardtm; 02-20-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 08:03 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardtm View Post
hey guys (and gals)
Got a question here. Hopefully my e550 will someday actually be fixed (not holding my breath here for that one) ..aside from that, I've finished making a guage pod (4 guages) to mount atop the dash. I've ordered a tachometer and was wondering...just how and what I connect the wires to? I'm assuming here that a tach for a gas engine will function as well, just connects differently. Was told by the so-called "tech" at Allegheny Ford that they're basically all the same and that it would connect to the CPS lead(s), but failed, like on so many OTHER things) to specify WHICH one. Could use some advice on this one. (also will be ordering an EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp). Also, just as a point of info for my benefit...what should the boost be running when just easing down the road, and/or just idleing? Seems when they took it for a test drive, it was only running @ about 3-5 PSI...just seems kinda low to me.
Ok the Tach I can not help you on. The Egt and Tranny temp are fairly simple installs, Your boost gauge will show a low reading unless the turbo is under load. While I am cruising or idling my boost gauge reads 3-5 psi and at idle it reads 0 psi. But when I am on it or the turbo is under load I have readins of around 23-25 psi. So I with your reading of 3-5 psi not underload is about right. Now when I am cruising down the highway at 70-80 mph my boost reads around 8-10 psi.

I hope this info helps you out some.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 AM

It does indeed Big Guy..thanks..at least I can be reasonably assured my trubo is ok..lol( the rest is a lemon, but turbo is ok...go figure)
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Well the only way I know of killing the turbo is by heat. Heat will not only kill the turbo but can kill the engine too. Also Dirt if your filter is not that good of one then you will get dirt in your turbo which can tear up the turbo wheels also. Everything else is ran by electronics so yeah go figure they will cause you problems. But the turbo is completely operated by air.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 PM

now back to my first querry regarding the hook up of an aftermarket tach. The tach I just bought is for a gasser but was told it would work just as well on a diesel, it would just connect differently...(like Duh!) This one says to connect the green wire to the neg term on the coil...well..lets see...no spark plugs...would be a good bet theres no coil. Now one tech...and granted so far this particular one is just hovering above "idiot" status, says to hook it up to one of the cps leads...but not which one..like thats a whole lotta help (at 75.00 an hour) Can sure use some help here. Will this thing work, and if so, just how or where do I connect the "green" wire, or do I need to return it and buy one specifically made for a diesel??
Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Here try this one as it is made for diesels.

Auto Meter
Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM

nope...too big and it says flywheel mods is required. I have a 2 1/16" model from Summit racing parts. With the pod I made, this is as big as I can go...and nope, no other place to really put one where its both visable AND out of the way.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 PM
duct tape & zip ties

What year truck are you putting this on and what happen to the factory tach.
Or did it not have one from the factory.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 AM

going into a 2003 E550 (engine is a late 99 build) and never had a factory Tach...wish it did but it doesn't.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Actually if you read that correctly, it says may need modifications to harmonic balancer or crank pulley, or the fly wheel. But I am with you I wouldn't want to be modifing that stuff either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.