New to forum with question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to forum with question

Im glad I found this forum, because I need some help. Im on what was supposed to be a 9 hr trip, and my water pump went to leaking out the weep hole, 2 hours south of Columbus Ohio. It was recommended that Bars leak would get me were I was going. So I added two bottles 1 half hour apart.
It seemed to work for a hour or two. Then I smelled antifreeze, the temp went up. So I pulled over and added water. Then went on. When I got low on water again, Of course the heater ran cold. I made it to Ashland Ohio where I got off the highway, and got 4 gallons of cheap antifreeze from walmart. Then went to the next exit to my Brothers who Id not seen in two years. I thought I was real low on water so I only added one gallon of antifreeze for the night. I let it run to mix. After starting it this morning. I added water to try and reach my dest. Where I hoped to get it in the shop. The heater never started heating, even with water in it. So I gave up on the dest. till I get it fixed. My question is did I let it freeze up or could the Bars leak have gummed up the heater core. Im now at my step-dads with the truck tore down in his barn with a heat lamp on it and the heater in the barn on low. Another question: Does the electric block heater suseptable to ruining if the radiator is out. Im sure the block has water in it. Thanks for any help. This has been quite stressfull, as I dont want to tear up my truck. The temp here is 8 degrees with 2 ft of snow, and its Sunday, so there wasnt much help around. Ideas or knowledge for solutions is much appriciated, Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

to the forum The heat should of diluted the bars leek i don't think it clog up the core.there should of been water in the block with radiator out shouldn't be OK.If the element dose not have water around it it can burn up i had them do it to me on tractors.Are the hoses to the heater core frosen?Hope this helps Rick

Last edited by Hayman; 02-18-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
I'm not sure I can help you with your problem beyond what Hayman has already told you, but... I'll bump it back up so that hopefully one of the great techs we have here will see it, and get you back on the road as quickly as possible.

Oh.. and BTW

Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nasby View Post
Im glad I found this forum, because I need some help. Im on what was supposed to be a 9 hr trip, and my water pump went to leaking out the weep hole, 2 hours south of Columbus Ohio. It was recommended that Bars leak would get me were I was going. So I added two bottles 1 half hour apart.
It seemed to work for a hour or two. Then I smelled antifreeze, the temp went up. So I pulled over and added water. Then went on. When I got low on water again, Of course the heater ran cold. I made it to Ashland Ohio where I got off the highway, and got 4 gallons of cheap antifreeze from walmart. Then went to the next exit to my Brothers who Id not seen in two years. I thought I was real low on water so I only added one gallon of antifreeze for the night. I let it run to mix. After starting it this morning. I added water to try and reach my dest. Where I hoped to get it in the shop. The heater never started heating, even with water in it. So I gave up on the dest. till I get it fixed. My question is did I let it freeze up or could the Bars leak have gummed up the heater core. Im now at my step-dads with the truck tore down in his barn with a heat lamp on it and the heater in the barn on low. Another question: Does the electric block heater suseptable to ruining if the radiator is out. Im sure the block has water in it. Thanks for any help. This has been quite stressfull, as I dont want to tear up my truck. The temp here is 8 degrees with 2 ft of snow, and its Sunday, so there wasnt much help around. Ideas or knowledge for solutions is much appriciated, Rick
Howdy and welcome to the site. First off who ever told you bars leak would fix your problem was right and wrong. Bars leak doesn't work to well for water pump leaks. If you plug it in with the radiator out the truck should be fine as the block heater heats up the engine oil which then heats up the whole engine block due to the placement of the block heater. So to answer your question no it should not get ruined if you plug it in with the radiator out.

Now your heater core there is an easy way to find out if it is plugged run water through it. I would take a 20 ounce pop bottle cut the bottom out so it is a funnel and use a gallon jug of water, I would put the pop bottle attached to the heater hose, pour water into the pop bottle and see if you get water coming out of the other hose from the heater core, if you do then no your heater core is not gummed up or blocked by bars leak.

I would get a new water pump and install it. As that was where your leak was at.

Your radiator you can do the same test as the heater core but I suggest using a garden hose for this one. Put the garden hose in the top radiator hole and see if you get water coming out the bottom end. If you do then no blockage.

After installation of the new water pump I would reassmble vehicle fill the fluids and take it for a test drive I hope I have helped you out some.

Again welcome to the site.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the replys and the welcome. Waiting on a rebuilt water pump now. I hope all green anti freezes are compatible. Ill maybe run a water hose through the heater core, used to do that to blow rust out of none heating ones. Thanks again. Rick
Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

hey Rick sorry to hear about your troubles. Yes all green atifreezes are compatible but if you use the green you need to add the additive to stop cavitation. You will need to buy the test strips to make sure you have enough of the additive also. I can't remember the name of the additive maybe someone will chime in. Now is a good time to change to the gold since you have the pump out and you can flush everything and you dont have to add the additive with the gold atifreeze.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to purduefarmboy460
Keep us posted!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again

I bought what I thought was green anti freeze, but pouring it in it looked more gold than green. It took 3 gallons of distilled water and 3 gallons of antifreeze. The antifreeze jug read that it was compatible with all anti freezes. It wouldnt start this evening when it finally got put back together. The glow plugs had quit on me. So I plugged it in, try it in the morning. Im going to a big chainsaw carvers show. My website is Rick's Artistry if ya care to look. Thanks for the feedback. Is the antifreeze still needing additive? Is there maybe a quick fix for the glow plugs? Check out the flames on my website. Thanks, Rick
Old 02-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

If its the yellow or gold coolent you dont need the sca or supplemental coolant additive. If its the green coolent you do. This stops cavitation that can cause internal coolent leaks. What brand coolent is it? Make sure your batteries are fully charged if you have been cranking the starter you will need to recharge before trying again. Good luck hope you get running again.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:00 PM
im fat and ugly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.