2000 7.3 missfire problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 missfire problems

I just bought this truck. It has a banks power pack system with ottomind chip, exhaust brake, transcommand, trans brake. It has a miss. Checked codes found p0232 p0470 p1210 p1212 p1249 p1316. Buzz tested good. But on cyl bal test failed 3 and 5. Replaced 3 and 5 injectors, and new harnesses and glow plugs. Seemed to run smoother but still a miss. Ran bal test again but failed 4 this time. Realized that cyl bal test is not the cylinders, never has on this truck.Just running test at idle. Thought this was strange since it kills them on my 96. Using a otc newer scanner. Also when doing a koeo self test it gives a bunch of injector high low circuit codes. When I ran the koer it had a p0470 code. I never heard it close the exhaust off. I am wondering if the banks brake is affecting this but I had the switch off for it. Also former owner said he replaced the IDM and also the glow plug relay. I removed the ottomind chip, cleared codes and drove, check engine light immediately. p1316, Run cyl bal test says 3 and 5 sometimes, 3 and 4 or just 4. Changed the oil and filter when first got truck. Only put 300 miles on it since. It is also hard starting when cold, has to be plugged in. But once warm will restart ok. Has died a few times on me too. replaced cps. had a 340 code. seems to be when fuel level is low in tank. Still died after cps, filled tank up not died since. It does for a little while when started first thing in the morning. But fires up ok throughout the day. Any suggestions? By the way this site rocks!!!!!!!. Thanks

******UPDATE********
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am sure my battery voltage is good. And I am working on getting another IDM to try. I just changed the oil, so I don't thinks is an issue. I borrowed a scanner again and when I checked codes this time it had p0238,p0478,p1212,p1316. I cleared codes and ran a koeo self test, passed it ok. Then I ran a buzz test, all buzzed but 5 is a little louder, no codes though. Then I started the truck up and ran a koer self test got a p0476 code. Then I ran a cyl bal test, code p0272 cyl 4 failure. Then I drove the truck for 15 min. came back and checked current codes p1316 was present. So I ran a cyl bal test again and got p0269 cyl 3 failure, and a p0275 cyl 5 failure. Next I ran a koer self test and got a p0476 code. Then I ran a cyl bal test 3 more times. All returned a p0269 cyl 3 failure. I shut the truck off and ran a buzz test, all buzzed again 5 was a little louder than the rest. But this time I got codes p1272 cyl 2 and p1277 cyl 7 high to low side open. Ran test again same thing. I then ran a koeoself test got p1272 and p1277 codes also. Hope this makes sense to someone, because I am not understanding this thing.Thanks for the Help.

Last edited by hudsonangus; 02-21-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: needed to update a few things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonangus View Post
I just bought this truck. It has a banks power pack system with ottomind chip, exhaust brake, transcommand, trans brake. It has a miss. Checked codes found p0232 p0470 p1210 p1212 p1249 p1316. Buzz tested good. But on cyl bal test failed 3 and 5. Replaced 3 and 5 injectors, and new harnesses and glow plugs. Seemed to run smoother but still a miss. Ran bal test again but failed 4 this time. Realized that cyl bal test is not killing the cylinders, never has on this truck.Just running test at idle. Thought this was strange since it kills them on my 96. Using a otc newer scanner. Also when doing a koeo self test it gives a bunch of injector high low circuit codes. When I ran the koer it had a p0470 code. I never heard it close the exhaust off. I am wondering if the banks brake is affecting this but I had the switch off for it. Also former owner said he replaced the IDM and also the glow plug relay. I removed the ottomind chip, cleared codes and drove, check engine light immediately. p1316, Run cyl bal test says 3 and 5 sometimes, 3 and 4 or just 4. Changed the oil and filter when first got truck. Only put 300 miles on it since. It is also hard starting when cold, has to be plugged in. But once warm will restart ok. Has died a few times on me too. replaced cps. had a 340 code. seems to be when fuel level is low in tank. Still died after cps, filled tank up not died since. It does crank for a little while when started first thing in the morning. But fires up ok throughout the day. Any suggestions? By the way this site rocks!!!!!!!. Thanks
I'm no expert on these things but I'm kind of leaning towards the IDM, or something associated with it. P1316 is (IDM codes detected) Along with all the other codes this thing is throwing, I believe I would check all fuses and relays to make sure that they are not blown and are working along with the connections to the IDM. I have learned that our PSD's need good battery voltage in order to work right. Just my Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Just a suggestion check for fuel restriction and air in fuel, filter housing, lines ect. Good luck
Old 02-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

cyl balance test is diffrent on the newer models but it works.It does not kill them out as evident as on the obs trucks.I just got through working on one is the only reason I know.I have heard of poeple putting one or two injectors in and others going bad shortly after.Did you replace the injectors yourself?What kind did you use.Is your oil fresh,and fuel filter?Def could be your injector driver module.Do you have a friend that would let you try thiers out.I have let a couple of poeple try mine before because they are so expensive.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:20 PM
The Fat Mod

Bump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.