Weird starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird starting

Just recently, on these sub 20 mornings weve had, my truck has acted funny when I turn the key forward. Normally as everyone knows, u turn the key forward and the dash lights come on for a moment and then most (specifically check engine in this case) go out after a few seconds. Well a couple times recently, the check engine light has stayed on and the motor acts like the glow plugs didnt even come on when I turn it over. If I recycle the key, the dash lights act as normal, and the truck starts fine after the wait to start light goes out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to pull the codes, but I dont have a scanner and have been very busy w/ work. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

bump bump!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine does the same thing but its because i have a huge custom chip
but i ususally have to glow my plugs atleast 2/3 time when its cold may want to check the glowplug sensor
Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Just plug your truck in, it will stop that is why we have blockheaters. But your plugs maybe weak, may have a bad connection with the wiring harness, might be the glowplug relay, could be batteries getting weak, might be the ignition switch. Heck I could go on and on about the could bes and the might bes. I would serisously check out the cold start system on the truck.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
It's definently the cold playing a part in your electronic gremlin.

I agree, plug it in. I even plug mine in at work when it gets in the mid 20s and below.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 AM

I am starting to have similar things happen. And it does not happen only when cold, but even after it sits even a few minutes. And I always do plug in on nights below 32*

I turn the key as normal, do my seat belt, look and the wait light is out (at this point not sure if it even came on). I turn the key and it turns over normally but will not start. Then turn key off, and back on, wait for the light to go off, and it will start fine.

It appears that the wait to start light is not coming on sometimes. And I have had this happen even after a couple key turns once before.

I am concerned that this might be a cam postion sensor but how could it have anything to do with the wait to start light?

Next, I am on my original batteries and thought this might possibly be a sign of them failing. However when I do turn it over, they are very strong and show no signs of being weak.

Could some type of internal battery short have anything to do with the wait to start light? Is the wait to start light on only when the glow plugs are warming up? Then why does the enigne turn over normally but not start?

Would anything like this show up as codes?

Thanks for any ideas,
Dean

2000 model, auto, 4x4, 57,000 miles.

Last edited by Star Gazer; 02-20-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Star Gazer, I would be checking out your glow plugs and glow plug relay. I doubt it is the cps. I would also check the UVC wiring harness conections make sure they are clean and connected good at the valve cover. I also doubt it is the batteries as you state they are cranking the engine over strong and show no signs of weakness.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I am starting to have similar things happen. And it does not happen only when cold, but even after it sits even a few minutes. And I always do plug in on nights below 32*

I turn the key as normal, do my seat belt, look and the wait light is out (at this point not sure if it even came on). I turn the key and it turns over normally but will not start. Then turn key off, and back on, wait for the light to go off, and it will start fine.

It appears that the wait to start light is not coming on sometimes. And I have had this happen even after a couple key turns once before.

I am concerned that this might be a cam postion sensor but how could it have anything to do with the wait to start light?

Next, I am on my original batteries and thought this might possibly be a sign of them failing. However when I do turn it over, they are very strong and show no signs of being weak.

Could some type of internal battery short have anything to do with the wait to start light? Is the wait to start light on only when the glow plugs are warming up? Then why does the enigne turn over normally but not start?

Would anything like this show up as codes?

Thanks for any ideas,
Dean

2000 model, auto, 4x4, 57,000 miles.

This is exactly what mine has done, and I even have brand new batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.