Cold start problem fixed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold start problem fixed

I finally found the solution to my cold starting problem. Checked batteries, changed glow plug relay and glow plugs, still wouldn't start below 25 degrees. Heard about the gelling problems with the new ultra low sulfer diesel so I thought I would give an anti gel an try. Got some Power Service Diesel Kleen anti gel formula(white bottle) poured about half the bottle in, drove it around to get it through the system. The following morning it was about 8 degrees and I did not plug my truck in. I let the glow plugs warm up for about 1 and a half minutes and the truck started. That solved my problem and hope it helps someone else out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Kind of a dumb question, did you let the plugs glow for over a minute before you attempted to start it before?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Conservative and Proud

Great to hear your problem is solved!!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not a dumb question, yes I let my glow plugs warm up for a minute or two before. I don't think you have to keep them on for that long, I did just because it was cold and I wanted to make sure the cylinders were plenty warm. Here lately I am only waiting about 10-15 seconds to start it and its starting fine. I just wanted to give someone another idea to try instead of having to replace all of your injectors. Also I have heard that you should add a little more anti-gel than recommended on the bottle. I saw it on the news here in Omaha, and thought I would give it a try and it seems to be working. Its going to get below zero for a couple of days here, hopefully it will start.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

has anyone ever checked the fuel heater mounted in the bowl of the filter housing? i thought that was there to help prevent fuel gel/wax. i am having similar problem with my 99
Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

I always thought that "cycling" the glow plugs was the way to go. I know if I don't plug mine in here lately that I have to put the jump box on it cause of the drain on the batteries. So I was always turning the key on, when the "wait" light went out I turned the key off and started the process over again for 2 or 3 cycles. So the g-plugs will continue to warm if you just leave the key in the on position?

Rob
Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Bump...Any thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrokin' View Post
So the g-plugs will continue to warm if you just leave the key in the on position?

Rob
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I think they go off after 90 seconds, I cycle mine twice when cold also.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no, the glow plug on time is determined by the pcm depending on several sensors, oil temp, engine temp, outside temp, etc. when you turn the key on, the wait to start light is illuminated and the glow plug relay energizes the glow plugs, the light goes off, but sometimes depending on conditions, the glowplugs are still energized, i am not sure of the time, but i think it can be up to 2-3 minutes, then they are cycled off. if you turn the key to off, then back to on, the pcm will again take control of the glow plug relay depending on the sensors signals it is receiving. I may not be correct on this but from my research, this is how i understand the system to work, i am sure if i am wrong, someone will help correct me. i would appreciate it. with my truck, sometimes it starts up just fine and other times it takes 10+ tries. i can tell when it is having a hard time because it will sound like it is trying harder to turn over, and the oil pressure gauge won't read any pressure. when it does try to start, the oil pressure comes up, then it will start and idle irratically up and down for 10-20 seconds. i have an oil leak that is getting larger, about the diameter of a popcan in 2 days and the valley has oil puddles all along it, so now i am considering replacing hpop orings, oil line orings and the separator drain valve orings. i was thinking while i had the filter housing off, i would check the fuel bowl heater. i called the dealership for a price quote on a new heater and the parts counter couldn't find what i was talking about, and i can't find much information on the net about. anyone have any help.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrokin' View Post
I always thought that "cycling" the glow plugs was the way to go. I know if I don't plug mine in here lately that I have to put the jump box on it cause of the drain on the batteries. So I was always turning the key on, when the "wait" light went out I turned the key off and started the process over again for 2 or 3 cycles. So the g-plugs will continue to warm if you just leave the key in the on position?

Rob
I do the same thing i have tried it several different ways like turning the key once and letting the glow plugs and try starting it up.It seems 3 times is a charm.I only do that when it is real cold and i forget to plug it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.