HELP PLEASE!!! F-250 starts/runsbut wont accelerate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP PLEASE!!! F-250 starts/runsbut wont accelerate

I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 w/ 110K....This problem gradually started about 2 months ago.. if engine was cold truck would start fine, but it would not accelerate when I pressed pedal. as I throttled it, SES light would also come on. After 1-2 minutes idling, everything worked like normal and the SES light would not come on any longer...Then 5 days ago I was riding on the highway then slowed down to turn on street and the engine would not accelerate at all. When I throttled it the SES light came on ...and i cant drive truck faster than idle speed. I thought it might be the pedal assembly so I purchased one AND it still does the same thing. I have 2 codes that I retreived w/ my tuner P0603 and PFFFF. Please help!!! I dont want to have to take this baby to the dealer to get bent over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 08:05 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronconut View Post
I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 w/ 110K....This problem gradually started about 2 months ago.. if engine was cold truck would start fine, but it would not accelerate when I pressed pedal. as I throttled it, SES light would also come on. After 1-2 minutes idling, everything worked like normal and the SES light would not come on any longer...Then 5 days ago I was riding on the highway then slowed down to turn on street and the engine would not accelerate at all. When I throttled it the SES light came on ...and i cant drive truck faster than idle speed. I thought it might be the pedal assembly so I purchased one AND it still does the same thing. I have 2 codes that I retreived w/ my tuner P0603 and PFFFF. Please help!!! I dont want to have to take this baby to the dealer to get bent over...

Have you checked the Cam Positioning Sensor, what about oil level. Does it seem like it is not getting fuel. Have you checked or replace the fuel filter. Did it do this prior to the tuner being installed. Have you thought about disconnecting the tuner to see if that solves the problem. I would check the simple things before taking it to a shop and paying for something that is simple to fix. Check out the stuff I mentioned and let us know the results and we will go from there.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 AM
MARSOC > Seals

I have the same problem but it only does it when I don't let it warm up long enough... Only when I start it and take off about a min. after letting it sit there. No problem at all if I let it warm up for a little bit though.... I was guessing the fuel filter but I haven't had the time to change it yet... I will have to do that soon... but my truck only has just a little over 61,000... Just wondering how often I should change it....
Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
I have the same problem but it only does it when I don't let it warm up long enough... Only when I start it and take off about a min. after letting it sit there. No problem at all if I let it warm up for a little bit though.... I was guessing the fuel filter but I haven't had the time to change it yet... I will have to do that soon... but my truck only has just a little over 61,000... Just wondering how often I should change it....
Your problem maybe normal. I know when my 2002 F-250 7.3L is really cold it has no throttle response until it warms up a bit after running for about 5 minutes or so. I think it has something to do with the cold start system on the truck.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Hmmm....thats how mine started off...then kaput!!! It went bad. Truck seems to have fuel in it, oil level withing normal limits, CPS wasreplaced 2 years ago, when I replaced it the symptoms were similar to lack of fuel, it wouldjust turn off on me...

I have had programmer in it for 2 years w/ no problem. I went ahead a de-programmed it and didnt make a difference. I was wondering if the ICP injection control pressure, may be the fault here...Any ideas

Last edited by Bronconut; 02-11-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:20 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Hmmm....thats how mine started off...then kaput!!! It went bad. Truck seems to have fuel in it, oil level withing normal limits, CPS wasreplaced 2 years ago, when I replaced it the symptoms were similar to lack of fuel, it wouldjust turn off on me...

I have had programmer in it for 2 years w/ no problem. I went ahead a de-programmed it and didnt make a difference. I was wondering if the ICP injection control pressure, may be the fault here...Any ideas
I have not heard of any one having a problem with the icp. I would try a new cps. They are the most typical problem on this truck. They never show sign of going bad they just end up going bad then the truck starts acting funny.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Is the symptom of the cps to not accelerate at all? The truck can stay on idling My past experience with cps, acts like a bad fuel filter.. Nice buck btw
Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Thanks for the compliment. I am wondering if your fuel pressure regulator isn't bad. But you don't have a fuel leak, usually when the fuel pressure regulator goes bad it is just the o-rings, which then cause it to leak fuel.

I don't have a code book in front of me to tell you what your codes you pulled mean I am sorry for that but I am at work and not at home. You can go to autozone or similar place and they should be able to tell you what those codes mean. Like I said before a CPS acts funny, when they go bad usually the truck will not run. But when mine went I could start it, it would idle but you get going down the road the truck would start acting up. Like I had low oil, or not getting fuel then it would just die, then you start up the truck and it would run ok. When it would start to run rough I would mash the throttle down to the floor and it would stay running but I had no throttle response at all until the engine cleared up and started running smoothly. But when my CPS went bad I could start up my truck and it would run all day idling but you try to drive it, then it would start running rough egine light would come on and eventually truck would die. Then I would put the truck in neutral and shut the key off and start it back up. Then it would run fine. I would check the cps and your OIL Level as the oil level can cause this problem too.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Is the symptom of the cps to not accelerate at all? The truck can stay on idling My past experience with cps, acts like a bad fuel filter.. Nice buck btw
Im not sure if this is the one But if it's the sensor that is in your rear end then thats it!!........Happened to me too and it's a cheap fix...Can actually do it yourself.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:11 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by over200 View Post
Im not sure if this is the one But if it's the sensor that is in your rear end then thats it!!........Happened to me too and it's a cheap fix...Can actually do it yourself.

No the CPS is located on the front engine cover above the crank pulley at the 1 O'clock position, it has a metal tab coming off it, it is held in by a 10mm bolt, and it has a wiring harness going to it. The one on the rear end would be a speed sensor/abs sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.