Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil consumption

3K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Emilycv03 
#1 ·
My 99 F250 is using gallons of oil a day. After a lot of googling I believe it is the injector o rings. There is substantial amounts of oil in the fuel filter. The dealership has had it for 3 weeks now and found a misfire on injector 1, they fixed some wiring and there is no misfire anymore but it is still consuming large amounts of oil. After they drove it for a mile it used up 2 quarts of oil. We had to replace the high pressure oil pump because the truck was no longer starting. We now believe that the truck just did not have any oil and we wasted $3,000 on that. Every day that we drive it it takes about 3-5 gallons of oil. I am going to replace the o rings myself but I am not sure if I should replace the o rings on all 8 injectors or not. Seems like the problem was mostly injector 1 since it was causing a misfire but i do not want to just change the o rings on one injector when potentially the other 7 may have problems as well.

#3 ·
I ended up getting 8 o-ring kits and changed them all and changed the glow plugs as well. Been driving it for 4 days now and it has not used any more oil. The dealership tried to tell me it was consuming so much oil because of the pistons but so far so good so im holding off on messing with the pistons.

#6 ·
They got us on the HPOP which sucked because now we are not sure if the truck just needed oil or the pump actually went out because it wouldnt crank again after replacing the pump but this time my husband added 3 gallons of oil and it drove fine. They claimed it was the pistons using the oil because when the truck was floored it would have black smoke but that is the only time there is ever smoke coming from the exhaust. They had told me my fuel bowl and filter were full of oil and after research on here everything pointed to the injector o-rings.
Thanks for replying

#7 ·
Ok so after i replaced the o rings, no more oil consumption. However about 2 weeks later it started blowing a lot of smoke out the exhaust. We tightened down the injectors because i hadnt tightened them enough. Turned the truck back on and all the smoke was gone. 2 more weeks later its blowing smoke again, so this time my husband does it himself and tightens down the injectors even more. Its still blowing a ton of white smoke. Its not steady white smoke but blows puffs as well. Once we get to driving it up to about 50 mph it stops. There is a bad diesel leak and we dont know where its coming from. The smoke smells like unburnt diesel. I took out injector 1 that had the misfire and the o rings are wearing out on it already.

#8 ·
Been working on it all day and i change injector 1 with injector 3 since there was a misfire code for injector 1 a while back. The longlead is in injector 7 instead of 8. Was that way when we got it. Well after i put everything back together and on it i tried to crank it and nothing. Just bunched up the engine like its hydrolocked. The first time i messed with the injectors i hand cranked the engine. This time i forgot to. So i took everything off again and then hand crank the engine. Put everything back together and tried to crank. It sounded like it wanted to but it didnt and bunched up even worse than before. Couldnt even hand crank the engine anymore. Dont know what to do anymore. We bought the truck for $8,000 and have put $6,000 of work in it and now its just sitting there. We only got 1 whole month of driving it and have had it 6 months.

#9 ·
You replaced all the orings but they are "wearing out" already?

Who the eff put the LL in cylinder 7? The dealership?

That's a bunch of crap if the dealership told you you had "oil" in the fuel filter and bowl. They were probably just dirty unless you actually poured oil in your fuel tank.

Here is a link for the proper torque specs so you don't have to keep "tightening them down"
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...-discussion/404505-injector-torque-specs.html

Leave the glow plugs out when you crank the truck so the oil will purge and it doesn't hydrolock the engine!

#10 ·
I wanted to change the long lead out to the correct place but that involves taking off the other side again. I got them torqued right this time. Going to take it apart and remove the glow plugs so i can get it all out. I overlooked that part when i put it back together this time. Ive been working on this truck with my 9 month old daughter under the hood with me so its been an adventure. Im hoping switching injectors 1 and 3 solves our smoking problem but im afraid that injector 1 was bad. Considering rebuilding it but probably dont have the tools to do that either. Yea the o rings were already wearing bad on injector 1. I was thinking maybe it got stuck open because we have tons of unburnt diesel going through the exhaust and you can see the wet spots where the diesel is accumulating. As soon as the truck gets going and higher rpms it doesnt smoke. Dealership also told me it was my pistons because of the oil consumption. Just glad its not going through gallons a day anymore.

#11 ·
So i have been hand cranking the engine with the glow plugs removed. Should i hook the batteries back up and try to crank it like that without the glow plugs in. The valve gasket is still connected and all injecotrs are still connected. When i hand cranked the engine i expected to see oil come out of the cylinders but nothing. The last time i did it just a lot of air came through. Now when im cranking it i hear fluid moving around. Im only working on the passenger side right now.

#12 ·
So its been a year since i last had to do anything to the truck. Its back to consuming gallons of oil a day. Its now losing power while driving and stalling. Last time the dealership said it was the hpop and i think its that again from my research. They said that once you replace a hpop you dont typically have to replace it ever again. We still have another year of warranty on it. So far ive taken out the injectors and the orings are decent compared to the last time i replaced them. Only a few a starting to show signs of wear. Hoping i can get them back into the truck and fill it up again with oil and hope it runs but im not sure if the hpop is completely shot

#14 ·
I have thought about changing the injectors but i dont think thats the problem. It took me 3 times before the orings actually worked good last time and made the truck run good. Ford told me they could get me the injectors at $280 each but thats still a lot of money to throw at it if its not the injectors.
This time after being in the shop for 2 weeks they tell me its the icp sensor. I had no oil pushing through it or anything but i replaced it since the computer came back with that code. They refuse to acknoledge that its the high pressure oil pump and now its stalling again on us but no more oil consumption since i replaced the orings. We just replaced the pump with them last year for almost $4,000 and its still under warranty.
My next thing is that an injector cup may be damagedand causing our oil consumption, those are less expensive than replacing the injectors. Everything i read in the repair manual says oil consumption has to do with the fuel injectors.

#15 ·
Omg....so much fail in what the shop is telling you. Not sure why you even post when people here are giving you good advice and you go do the opposite of their suggestions.

You fail to understand that there are wearable parts on the inside of the injectors. The truck and it's injectors are OLD.

Bad injector cups will allow oil to get into your coolant system. Bad external orings will allow oil to get into your fuel system.

Your last sentence....is what we suggested to you last year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I did everything i was told last year but that was already after we had the pump replaced by them. I wasnt a mechanic then and wasnt working on my truck until after the pump was replaced. I took it back to them to replace the pump again since its under warranty.
I put all new orings on it again and oil consumption has stopped. My injectors are good and it appears my injector cups are good as well.
The problem i am having are the same problems we had when we replaced the pump through ford. We experienced loss of power and stalling. After several attempts of driving the truck it would no longer turn on and was diagnosed with a bad hpop. Replaced that through ford and the truck ran for an exact year to the day and broke down again.

I was just suggesting possible problems to the comment above mine this morning.

Since ive done all the work and replaced orings and icp and have good injectors and good injector cups im not sure why our truck isnt running. It stalled again this morning and the only thing i can think of is that the hpop isnt good anymore. Last time it went out it went through almost all 15 quarts of oil within 18 miles of running it. As far as i could tell it was pushing oil into the fuel bowl. Now its not doing that. There are no oil leaks because we checked for that with dye in the oil. Im not sure where the oil went to this time. It smoked (white smoke) for about 30 minutes after replacing everything but has not smoked again and ran good for a solid 2 days. Only thing i can infer is that the truck running with no oil burned up the pump which ford is refusing to replace under their warranty which im just going to take out myself and return to parts for another pump and do it myself.

#17 ·
Your injectors are not good. They are going on 17yrs old. Stop throwing orings at it, it fixes absolutely nothing. Again you fail to understand that the parts inside the injectors are worn out. The oil is leaking by the internals of the injectors and getting getting injected into the cylinders to be burnt. Hence all the consumption

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#18 ·
The only advice i received was to replace all 8 sets of orings and you had said the injectors may be wearing out. I went through so many threads to determine that it was the orings before i posted my thread a year ago. Theres no more oil consumption now, i just replaced all 8 sets of orings again. The oil consumption had stopped last time too after i replaced the orings and it ran for a solid year with no problems.
I am now trying to figure out why its losing power and stalling even with oil in it. I can understand it not running without oil but i fixed the oil problem again. And for 2 days it hasnt consumed any oil at all. Theres never been any blow by when i did the oil cap test. Only thing that ever happened was that oil got into the fuel bowl and filter. I didnt check them this time.

I have googled so much about loss of power and stalling and have come up empty handed which is why i commented on the thread again to see if anyone might know why.

#19 ·
Just now saw your comment about the injectors. Would that be causing the loss of power and stalling? Because i have no more oil consumption now. The orings were still under warranty too and i was given all new sets.
The dealership didnt charge me anything and havent been charging me for taking it back to them. I was there when they ran the codes because our service engine soon light was on and the only code that came back was the icp.

#20 ·
From what im getting on other posts and threads is that its either the fuel filter or the oil pump. Im pretty sure the fuel filter needs to be replaced and well the oil pump is under warranty but they didnt want to replace it because no codes came back for the pump.

#22 ·
So what that says is this;

Either the ICP is BAD and not sending accurate info to the PCM.

or

The ICP's accurate info it's sending the PCM is below the threshold the PCM uses for starting (unplugging causes a substitute higher pressure to be used by default)

At the dealership they would either throw-in a, known good, ICP to eliminate it as the cause or screw-in a pressure gauge where the ICP was and take a direct reading (not just any gauge, you need a High Pressure gauge for this)

It's too expensive to just "buy-to-try" an ICP sender, not sure if you have the ability to put together a gauge yourself....

#23 ·
This time i have a way to be at the dealership while they are checking it. I left a note saying they need to check the pressure because they refused to do that when i left 2 days ago. This time im making them check everything because it ridiculous that they cant seem to get it right. Its under warranty so im not paying anything and im not sure if thats why they're only doing 1 thing at a time. I could put a gage together myself if its not too hard to do, but on limited funds now and ive been buying tools as i go so i can ultimately fix everything myself. I just dont want to waste my time fixing a item thats still under warranty with them.

#24 ·
The icp is new. I replaced that 2 days ago and is under warranty with the parts store and i can go exchange if it is no good.
The hpop is under warranty with ford. We had that replaced before i started working on the truck. They said there was no oil pressure that time when it kept stalling on me, when they replaced the hpop it ran for an exact year to the day before it started stalling again and they didnt check the oil pressure this time and just ran the codes.

#25 ·
Sounds like a plan.... (returning it to them) ;)

Let's assume the ICP is good, then this would mean that;

Either the HPOP is not making proper pressure (it's bad, isn't being driven, or the LPOP isn't supplying it with oil)

or

The proper pressure that the HPOP is making is being bled-off because of leaks (Injectors, O-rings, stuck IPR, something like that)

Yea, they should do a manual pressure check and diagnose from there.

Here's a good vid ->

#26 ·
Thank you. Im pretty sure its one of the pumps. Just hoping its the hpop since its still under warranty and already checked and theres no leaks and no more oil consumption these last 2 days. Normally when we had bad orings we were losing 15 quarts of oil a day and for 2 days oil didnt flucuate. Either way it looks like im going to have to make them do their job since they dont seem to know how an engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.