niose dampening - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
niose dampening

I have an early 99 super cab and I love my engine and exhaust and even a lil tire hum but when I want to have a conversation while driving I dont like having to yell .

whats the best course of action for quieting the in cab noise a bit? I know of dyno matting but Im not sure what kind of difference it makes, Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM

turn the radio up.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM

thanks for the bump austin but that kind of defeats the purpose of being able to have a conversation without yelling
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd like some answers on this one too. I wonder what they did to make the 6.0L so much quieter than the 7.3? Mine quiets down a lot if I drive long enough, but it usually takes 20-30 minutes, and I don't go that far normally. If I have to drive on the Interstate, you can forget talking to anyone else.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM

What I have seen before that makes quite a difference is an asphalt based roofing material from Home Depot. It has a sticky side that adheres well to the bottom of the truck contours. Just don't get the rough stuff with the sandy stuff on the surface. Then there is a material called Jute. Jute is that fiber looking stuff that is on the back of your stock carpeting. You can get it at any apholstry store. We pulled up the carpets and applied the asphalt based material and the jute and it made quite a difference. I plan on doing my truck soon. It also will work on your door panels. We just applied it to the interior side of the doors and it has worked well. Especially since you are in it for 150 bucks or so total...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 PM

thats good info thanks I think dynomat must be over priced for what it does, Im sure it works but it makes sense that there are better cheaper alternatives out there
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
OperationSmile.org

Also you can run a piece of plastic tubing in the door seals. It makes the door seals thicker thus creating a better seal and reduce exterior noise. Its a PITA but it also helps alot.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM

yeah thats the first thing I tried, I didnt use plastic tubing I used a round foam strip and stuffed it in the existing seal. The tubing may be worth it also, what I used is not as stiff and so wouldnt have as tight a seal.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did the floor with ice/watershield as mentioned above. Then laid down foil covered bubble wrap (it's sturdy enough that it doesn't pop.) It's still loud, but not as bad as it was. Roumor has it, if you do the fuel tank mods and a regulated return, the engine will quiet down since less air is entrenched in the fuel. (haven't did it myself yet to give you an opinion.)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Throw in some jute instead of the bubble wrap. It is the key ingredient! It is like 3/4 to 1" thick... good stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.