Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005/2006 sunroof fit in a 2002 psd???

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  CanadianDiesel 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 psd no sunroof. I want to put one in it. I am planning on using one from a 05 06 King Ranch or Lairat. Just wondering if anyone has done this?

#2 ·
Are you talking just a regular sunroof. Or the power moonroof unit?

If you are talking the power unit. The wiring wont be there but it should fit

#3 ·
The whole set up..I am not worried about the wiring just wanted to see if anyone came across any probs if they did do this

#4 ·
Not to jump in or anything, but I am also wondering if anyone has done this, cause I would like to put one in my EX.

#5 ·
Same here don't know of any problems you would run into, but I would like to see a write up on this so I could do the same. Good Luck.

#6 ·
The only problem that i have heard of anyone having with it is leaks caused from the cuts that are made. Plus when you make an aftermarket seal with silicone it will never be as strong as the factory ones due to them being able to heat it up so high. But if you have the knowledge and patience. It would be a great mod. I love mine. Good Luck:thumb:

#8 ·
I don't see why there would be any problems if its done correctly You can have a dealer install the factory sunroof, so there shouldn't be much of a difference from what i can tell. Unless they use different parts or some kind of kit. Id call a dealer to see if it can be done and maybe how they do it.

#9 ·
The ribs on the roof of a truck with a moonroof are different from a truck without. You would have to do alot of body work to make a factory moonroof work. I've checked LOL.

#13 ·
I think it would be possible to brace the roof to the b-pillar as well as running additional front to rear supports with some small c-channel. If you can get it small enough it could be hidden under (above?) the headliner. Of course this increases the amount of work exponentially and again with the ribs on the roof sealing would be an issue. It's possible but is it worth the effort? Thanks, now you've got me debating how to do this and is it worth it.

#12 ·
I've thought about checking into this sometime for my supercab; my roof has no ribs at all and I think there should be plenty of room for the panel to slide back

#15 ·
There was a complete OEM sunroof on eBay that I passed up for $150. It relisted and sold for $220 or something. Good deal. I investigated before purchasing and was dissuaded by at least 2 custom sunroof places, one of which was a high end outfit.FWIW.

#16 ·
Been toying with this idea too. Would it work on an ExCab?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.