Stock Center Console and Radio? I dont think so!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock Center Console and Radio? I dont think so!!

Hi every one, I have been looking for awhile for a good stereo setup but I just couldn’t find what I was looking for. I wanted three simple things:
1) Very Stock looking non-fold head unit with Bluetooth/DVD/IPhone/IPod inputs
2) A subwoofer that I would never get tired of or have to upgrade
3) Keeping my truck looking stock as possible or at least very cleanly hidden equipment.

So what does any Jack of all Trades do, DIY it....

So we start with the stock radio, mine was a 6 disc changer that was none working when i bought the truck, the radio was the only thing that worked. So I started to search for unites that would fit in the stock radios space, all of the ones I found where the fold out type, and I wanted a none fold out 2 din unit. So after looking at my options I decided to go with the Kenwood DDX-812 (None Navigation Unit, because my Iphone 3G does everything I want). This head unit has the Bluetooth built in, multiple Audio and Video inputs and out puts, but best of all it will do Video and Audio out of my Iphone while charging it. Also this radio has 2 switched outputs so you can control things thru relays with its touch screen. I am going to use it to control the inverter and maybe some outside lights. The background on the radio can also be changed to 3 different uploaded images.

To get the radio to fit was the hard part, I only had a 4in MAX opening from top to bottom, and about 7 1/8in from side to side. Well this wasn’t that big of a problem, because the radio is about 4in tall and 7in wide. When you read the dimensions that Kenwood says it has they are also talking about the case that the radio is suppose to go into not the radio itself. Well I agree that the stock case will not work, so I broke out the die grinder and welder to mod the case to fit the radio snugly. Now with the Radio installed I needed to start with some speakers.

I found a Great deal on some Kenwood 6X8's for the doors and Rear, this was a easy install.

Then for the sub woofer, I knew that JL Audio and (I think) MTX had a speaker box that changed the stock center console into a speaker box and still us the center as a seat if needed. Being able to use the seat as it was suppose to be used was very important to me, to keep the truck looking stock. This was all and good, but I don't like JL or MTX, I am a Kicker man. So I start to size things up, I new that I could fit a Solar Baric 10in L7 in there, but would I have enough room for a 12in L7 (750RMS/1500Max Wattage). After a lot of measuring and thinking about it, I pulled off a very Compact box that would work for the 12in L7. The Solar Baric 12in L7 needs .88cu/ft of air space at the min. when I was done with the box it is .86-.87cu/ft that is close enough for government work. The box is made out of 3/4in Compressed Fiber Board and 6 layers of fiberglass for the top, and 1in padding over the fiberglass so you could still use the seat.

Then for the Amp there was only one way "Kicker". So i installed a 750.1 Kicker amp that puts out 750RMS and 1500MAX watts to power that bad boy. To feed the Amp I ran some 0 gauge power/ground wires. The amp only needed 4 gauge but I had other plans for the rest of the power.

For the Rest of the power in the back I will be installing a 2000/4000 watt Power Inverter, under the rear seat on the passenger side, to run what ever I want from the truck. It will also be powering the Play station 2 that I am installing under the seat as well. Hey got to do something when you are board in the truck!!

All of the wiring except the main 0 gauge power wire is run under the carpet down the middle. The Power Wire is run under the truck inside the frame rail and then thru a stock rubber grommet that is just above the driveshaft middle u-joint. With a 300amp fuse up front and 2-100amp fuses in the back.
After getting everything going, All I can say is DAM, if you turn that sub all the way up it lives up to the Kicker Name, I guarantee any and all females will love that seat. I no one that does all ready

Remember this is all installed without using any of the normal storage space, like behind the rear seat, but some of the storage space under the rear seat for the inverter and power cap.

Ok I know you all are tired of reading so here is the good stuff, the pictures. I haven't re-installed the back seats yet because I am not done getting the inverter all setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I like the custom box out of the center jump seat. How does it sound not being a sealed box?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is a sealed box, It sound very very nice, even some of my other friends that are big into stereo systems thinks that it is very nicely done, and great sound.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:04 PM

So is the seat make it sealed or did u add wood inside?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM

I want more info on the seat because i want to do that myself. That is just sick.
Great idea and good job.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That looks pretty damn AWESOME man! Heck, I'd love to hear that thing as my brother had two of those in his little Dodge Neon with a giant box (no trunk space, it weighted over one hundred pounds, his girlfriend was going to kill him for paying more attention to it than him, etc) and that thing was loud enough to cause brain damage! Tell me if you're ever up near San Francisco so I can give it a listen.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok on the Box Design.

There isnt anything except for the Metal on the bottom that bolts the box to the floor and the leather covering. Under the leather covering there is 3 sides (Bottom, driver side, and passenger side) Then for the front/top/rear it is fiberglass. I took the stock foam pad that is inside the stock seat and just made that foam shape into a speaker box.

I wasnt thinking when I was making this to take pictures untill i was getting done.

I will draw a picture of the design under the leather cover. The best part there is a pretty good pattern to go from all ready under the stock leather covering.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here is a bad drawing of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Stock Center Console and Radio? I dont think so!!-speaker-box-design.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM

i was pondering doing something like this, just wasnt sure if i wanted to tackle the project or not. i think not, im too buzy to try that, but your is perfect, good job!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i know its been awhile but do you have any measurements for this im about to take on this project and am a little curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.