Sound Insulation.. What is everyone using and how much? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sound Insulation.. What is everyone using and how much?

My truck has been missing most of the insulation on the engine side of the firewall, as a result I can barely carry a conversation with a passenger, have my music near max to enjoy it and can barely use my phone on the road.

I'm thinking about a new head unit, speakers, and throwing some insulation in the front doors and behind the dash as a starter.

What insulation have you guys found to work best and what should I stay away from?

How much is everyone using?

Thanks,
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1laf View Post
My truck has been missing most of the insulation on the engine side of the firewall, as a result I can barely carry a conversation with a passenger, have my music near max to enjoy it and can barely use my phone on the road.

I'm thinking about a new head unit, speakers, and throwing some insulation in the front doors and behind the dash as a starter.

What insulation have you guys found to work best and what should I stay away from?

How much is everyone using?

Thanks,
Will
Look into mlv. If I remember its multi layer vinyl. Great write up on powerstroke army forum
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 PM

We use Dynomat, Ballistic,and Hushmat at my shop, all the same stuff different names. I did 3 bulk packs on my truck (4 door crew cab 7.3). I did the inner door panel and the outer on all 4 doors, the back wall, the pillars and the headliner. Indoors weigh a good 65 pounds now and sound like knocking on steel. I have dual 8inch stacks and it helps a lot with silencing it all on the road. You can buy other stuff at hardware stores like home depot and Lowes. There's a lot of stuff out there. Doing your doors and floor will help a bunch!
The Following User Says Thank You to StrokinAlaska For This Useful Post:
the1laf (06-07-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used the rolls of HVAC wrap that you can get from lowes/home depot. Probably not as good as dynomat or the like but definitely made a difference and a fraction of the cost. It is a thick foil with foam self adhesive backing. Pretty simple to install, just clean the surface you are putting it on and use a roller to apply it.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1laf View Post
I can barely carry a conversation with a passenger, have my music near max to enjoy it and can barely use my phone on the road.
this all seems awesome to me
Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 AM

If you don't like it now, never get single shot injectors.

I used laminate flooring foam underlay in my doors. It made a noticeable difference, but the truck is still too loud to have a conversation.
I ended up getting new door speakers and a sub. That was a better solution
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokinAlaska View Post
We use Dynomat, Ballistic,and Hushmat at my shop, all the same stuff different names. I did 3 bulk packs on my truck (4 door crew cab 7.3). I did the inner door panel and the outer on all 4 doors, the back wall, the pillars and the headliner. Indoors weigh a good 65 pounds now and sound like knocking on steel. I have dual 8inch stacks and it helps a lot with silencing it all on the road. You can buy other stuff at hardware stores like home depot and Lowes. There's a lot of stuff out there. Doing your doors and floor will help a bunch!
Thanks for the info, I was thinking along the lines of dynomat but I didn't know how much I should buy.. Crew Cab's are a little bit bigger than a "standard" vehicle lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
this all seems awesome to me
Trust me I'm redneck, I've been rolling with it for the past 5 years, but a couple weeks ago I had the music cranked (just to distinguish it from the motor) and i didn't hear my radar detector going full ramp.. Yea.. That was one of the few nice cops I've met but I don't need to do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
If you don't like it now, never get single shot injectors.
That's another reason I want to do this, I'm so restricted in the power department with stock split shots, and singles are louder..

My goal is to get my truck into around the same range as the other 4 7.3's we own, maybe just a touch lower, the stereo can take it from there.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Buy a 4 channel amp and get some actual power to your speakers, factory or not they will be night and day difference with an amp. I do about 70mph with all my windows down, if I turn up my stereo you wouldn't know the windows where down besides the breeze cuz you only hear the system . its great
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Then if I roll my windows up you'd never know I had a strereo at all with how much sound dampening is in there. When you do decide on what material and brand your doing don't skimp it or you'll just want to redo it, be generous with the amount used!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with an excursion, I just have no clew what to use or how much I will need. It sounds like its a worth while upgrade for sure I have single shots and a 38r.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.