Dash Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dash Removal

I did a search and found a couple of threads on how to remove the dash. I do NOT have the factory radio anymore so no need to worry about the screws, but it says to just grab and pull evenly....question is: do I start on one of the corners or in the middle? I really don't want to break anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure what your wanting to do, but I had to take out the dash in my 02 last year due to small electrical issue. Taking it out is not a huge deal, just getting to the small electrical items and disconecting the heat controls are a bit of a pain to get to. I had to also drop the steering wheel and seat removal made it all easier to get to. The whole wire harness had to be replaced is why I had to do all that. Had too many tracers to do, and the harness was like 350 with my discount and buddy at the parts counter at dealer.

If yours is the same as mine, you should just have the bolts and issues i mentioned to get there. Dash pullout with wheel (3 hours) new harness replace two hours, and reinstall everything, and not forget anything about 4 hours. ONE LONG DAY, or a short weekend.


Hope this helps.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THe dash is held in there by tabs. You need to pry with a bigger flat head screwdriver. I started right under the headlight switch and worked my way over to under the airbag switch. Just pry downward and the tabs should pop out. This is for the main gauge cluster/dash vent panel. I can't quite remember, but i think there are tabs on top too. You'll know once you start getting it loose. Also the radio needed to be taken out for clearance reasons on mine. So even if you have an aftermarket radio, it still might not clear the faceplate. Maybe it will though, i don't know what it looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well I am going to take the dash out so I can paint part of it. From what i have read, i am just supposed to grab on an pull with a little bit of force???

Thanks for the heads up Bill, I had a feeling the electrical items would be a PITA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
THe dash is held in there by tabs. You need to pry with a bigger flat head screwdriver. I started right under the headlight switch and worked my way over to under the airbag switch. Just pry downward and the tabs should pop out. This is for the main gauge cluster/dash vent panel. I can't quite remember, but i think there are tabs on top too. You'll know once you start getting it loose. Also the radio needed to be taken out for clearance reasons on mine. So even if you have an aftermarket radio, it still might not clear the faceplate. Maybe it will though, i don't know what it looks like.
Thanks for the info, I had a feeling that it was not going to be too difficult, just wanted to make sure before I broke something (knowing my luck I probably still will )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by workin4my350 View Post
Not sure what your wanting to do, but I had to take out the dash in my 02 last year due to small electrical issue. Taking it out is not a huge deal, just getting to the small electrical items and disconecting the heat controls are a bit of a pain to get to. I had to also drop the steering wheel and seat removal made it all easier to get to. The whole wire harness had to be replaced is why I had to do all that. Had too many tracers to do, and the harness was like 350 with my discount and buddy at the parts counter at dealer.

If yours is the same as mine, you should just have the bolts and issues i mentioned to get there. Dash pullout with wheel (3 hours) new harness replace two hours, and reinstall everything, and not forget anything about 4 hours. ONE LONG DAY, or a short weekend.


Hope this helps.
Bill

Yeah, i forgot to mention just tilt the wheel all the way down. It will help with the removal. It didn't take me that long to take off mine, but did you have to take apart your whole dash Bill? I didn't have to unplug my heater controls. Just the lights and airbag switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,342
Thanks: 126
Thanked 129 Times in 114 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Just tilt the wheel down. Grab from the Top and pull. Easy cheesy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
Yeah, i forgot to mention just tilt the wheel all the way down. It will help with the removal. It didn't take me that long to take off mine, but did you have to take apart your whole dash Bill? I didn't have to unplug my heater controls. Just the lights and airbag switch.
YEah,

Everything. But I was replacing every piece of wire behind the dash to the firewall. Was not a good time. I hope its just a pull and go for you.

I just did it the best I could with what I know.

Im a metal head, not an auto electrician or wrench, so made the job a bit more frustrating.

Im learning though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I also read in another post that it's supposed to come off a little easier if the shifter is put into 1st ....I will give it a shot here hopefully in a couple of days and we'll see how it goes...Just got the wisdom teeth pulled yesterday so I have to recover from that first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Electrical Ogre
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,704
Thanks: 29
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say to pull out your radio, depending on how it's mounted. My DIN adapter snaps to the dash trim, and has the back support. Pulling the deck, but leaving the cage makes life easier, since you don't have to pull everything away from the dash so far to manuver the radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors