Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sloppy gear shifter

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Solid98 
#1 ·
Well my, new to me, truck has a bit of a sloppy shifter. Going into Reverse or Drive just requires a bit of playing around. Is the detents for this in the column or transmission itself. Hard to fix? Same for the ignition switch. I can shut off the truck and remove the key, open the door and I still get the chime. I have to put the key back in and jiggle it and remove the key. It's like it worn out. Replace?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Search Youtube for "Ford Steering Column Loose Shift Rail" That video will show you how to replace/repair the shifter tube. Took me all of an hour to do it on my 99.5.

#6 ·
Are most of you replacing or repairing the shifter bushings?

#8 ·
My shifter tube was fine so I just tightened up the torx bolts on the end, after applying lock tite, and replaced the shifter bushings. The motion of shifting in and out of gear just hacksaws the plastic bushings in half and they just fall out causing the slop. The bushings were less than $3 at Vatozone.

#7 ·
not sure if it is the same with the 7.3 as my early 04 but the stupid plastic connector that holds the shift cable in place on the trans falls apart (being plastic) and will cause exactly what you are describing. I had the same scenario and wound up "fixing" it with bailing wire and a couple zip ties and while i have the new piece to put in...i swear it is stronger this way than with the new linkage and the same stupid plastic clip :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.