06 radio in an 03 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 radio in an 03

Hey all, I'm posting for a friend here. I still have my OEM radio from my 06 laying around, and I'm wondering if it will fit in an 03. I've heard that it may not work, but just looking for some input from the org. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It shouldn't be too difficult as long as you still have the plug that goes into the 06. Using that along with an aftermarket wiring kit you could connect the appropriate wires together and retain the plug and play aspect while keeping in reversable.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
It shouldn't be too difficult as long as you still have the plug that goes into the 06. Using that along with an aftermarket wiring kit you could connect the appropriate wires together and retain the plug and play aspect while keeping in reversable.
Ah alright, so no issues as far fitting? Doesn't hurt to try anyway I guess. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That I do not know. I would assume you have to do some trimming to the dash cover like you would if you were installing an aftermarket double din. You might have to fab something up to mount it in the stock location too.

Truefully it would probably be easier to do a nice aftermarket. You can even get the one from Parrot that you can run the Torque app on. Plus it will improve the sound in your truck.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
You can even get the one from Parrot that you can run the Torque app on.
excuse the ignorance but who is parrot?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont know how you would mount the newer style head unit? The early radio uses spring pins to hold it in, and the later models bolt in and you remove a dash panel to get to those bolts. I have a CD changer from a 06, but it's much larger than my stock unit. I'm going aftermarket because nobody makes an install kit to mount a newer stock radio and I don't want to cobble something together. Also, wiring adaptation works differently because I don't have any wires coming out of the 06 radio and nobody sells that plug in kit form,so I would have to cut a factory harness at some point to make one, so I would need to find a donor car.

Last edited by Fastback; 01-28-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Man, thats nice but expensive. I just put a Pioneer 2600BT in my wife's Milan, those can connect with iPhone and even show the maps on the screen while moving, but no motor feedback. But, for under $250 I think I would have enough money left over for a dedicated gauge...maybe?

Android does not play so well with Pioneer unfortunately.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a pioneer in my truck. I kind of wish I had known about the Parrot because now I am trying to source a Android phone or tablet, unfortunately my rooted nook doesn't work, to run the Torque pro app. A full set of gauges and all the sensors is going to run you around $500. While the torque app can't do everything it would get me buy until I went to an Edge insight. I never really liked the idea of a ton of gauges all over the place but thats just me.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback View Post
I dont know how you would mount the newer style head unit? The early radio uses spring pins to hold it in, and the later models bolt in and you remove a dash panel to get to those bolts. I have a CD changer from a 06, but it's much larger than my stock unit. I'm going aftermarket because nobody makes an install kit to mount a newer stock radio and I don't want to cobble something together. Also, wiring adaptation works differently because I don't have any wires coming out of the 06 radio and nobody sells that plug in kit form,so I would have to cut a factory harness at some point to make one, so I would need to find a donor car.

???????????

I have an aftermarket stereo. It's held in with screws (the same screw that held in the OEM deck), just like every other factory and aftermarket system. Aftermarkets might be spring loaded into a model specific frame, but that frame is mounted with screws.

As for fit, we have a 1.5din hole, '05+ have a 2din hole. It will fit, but you have to trim. If you want something that fits without trimming, buy something that's 1.5din. There are plenty of options.

You may have wiring difficulty, but it's nothing you can't figure out with a little bit of research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.