Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

06 radio in an 03

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Fastback 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm posting for a friend here. I still have my OEM radio from my 06 laying around, and I'm wondering if it will fit in an 03. I've heard that it may not work, but just looking for some input from the org. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
It shouldn't be too difficult as long as you still have the plug that goes into the 06. Using that along with an aftermarket wiring kit you could connect the appropriate wires together and retain the plug and play aspect while keeping in reversable.

#3 ·
Ah alright, so no issues as far fitting? Doesn't hurt to try anyway I guess. Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
That I do not know. I would assume you have to do some trimming to the dash cover like you would if you were installing an aftermarket double din. You might have to fab something up to mount it in the stock location too.

Truefully it would probably be easier to do a nice aftermarket. You can even get the one from Parrot that you can run the Torque app on. Plus it will improve the sound in your truck.

#6 · (Edited)
I dont know how you would mount the newer style head unit? The early radio uses spring pins to hold it in, and the later models bolt in and you remove a dash panel to get to those bolts. I have a CD changer from a 06, but it's much larger than my stock unit. I'm going aftermarket because nobody makes an install kit to mount a newer stock radio and I don't want to cobble something together. Also, wiring adaptation works differently because I don't have any wires coming out of the 06 radio and nobody sells that plug in kit form,so I would have to cut a factory harness at some point to make one, so I would need to find a donor car.

#10 ·
???????????

I have an aftermarket stereo. It's held in with screws (the same screw that held in the OEM deck), just like every other factory and aftermarket system. Aftermarkets might be spring loaded into a model specific frame, but that frame is mounted with screws.

As for fit, we have a 1.5din hole, '05+ have a 2din hole. It will fit, but you have to trim. If you want something that fits without trimming, buy something that's 1.5din. There are plenty of options.

You may have wiring difficulty, but it's nothing you can't figure out with a little bit of research.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Man, thats nice but expensive. I just put a Pioneer 2600BT in my wife's Milan, those can connect with iPhone and even show the maps on the screen while moving, but no motor feedback. But, for under $250 I think I would have enough money left over for a dedicated gauge...maybe?

Android does not play so well with Pioneer unfortunately.

#9 ·
I have a pioneer in my truck. I kind of wish I had known about the Parrot because now I am trying to source a Android phone or tablet, unfortunately my rooted nook doesn't work, to run the Torque pro app. A full set of gauges and all the sensors is going to run you around $500. While the torque app can't do everything it would get me buy until I went to an Edge insight. I never really liked the idea of a ton of gauges all over the place but thats just me.

#11 ·
In my 99 the OE deck is not held in with screws like the OE deck from our 2006 Ford car. If you change to a late model OE radio you will not be able to get to the screws without removing the dash panel that covers the gauges.
Also, the 06 is physically larger and from what I have read once you cut the opening to fit a modern aftermarket double DIN you cant get the original radio back in the opening to where it looks correct because the hole is now over sized. This is causing me to be apprehensive because if I sell my truck I will want to keep the head unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.