Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

overdrive button not working?

11K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Macon 
#1 ·
my 99 superduty wont come out of over drive, I think the button on the shifter is shorted out or something? How could I go about testing this? button pushes fine just doesn't show on the gauges that o/d is off. What exactly does that do anyway? think I read it just wont shift into 4th gear? thanks!

#2 ·
the o/d button will prevent it from going into higher gears, to test operation of the switch you need to bring your truck up to 55mph, let off the gas and hit the button, if you feel the engine slow the truck down it is functioning and your bulb is blown in your lever. If you feel no function you will need to pull the plastic cover off your column and test voltage to the switch, or replace the entire lever. Sometimes it is a simple fix of the wires that rubbed loose or broke, sometimes it is a faulty lever. If you need a replacement order dorman 905-109. Unless you want to go pay 80+$ from ford for oem. good luck

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.