Android Head Unit (Parrot Asteroid Smart) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Android Head Unit (Parrot Asteroid Smart)

I replied to a thread about the Parrot Asteroid Smart head unit in the 6.7 forum but figured I should post in here for any of the 7.3 guys considering this head unit. This is an Android powered multi-touch screen double din head unit. It comes with an Asteroid app market which includes a version of torque made specifically for this unit. You can completely customize almost everything on here just as you could on any Android smart phone. So far I am really liking this unit and its capabilities. Only fault so far is there is no dedicated volume dial or hard buttons. Its done via a touch screen slider which is always brought up by tapping the volume touch screen button on the bottom left part of the screen.

I couldn't find a lot of info on this forum about this head unit so I figured I would contribute for those interested.

I just got this head unit the other day. I was really torn between getting the Clarion nx602 and the Parrot Asteroid Smart. After getting the Parrot installed and partially setup I am so glad I went with this over any non Android head unit. The potential is just awesome. So far I have Pandora, Netflix, Youtube, Google maps, Gmail, and Play store installed. I'll be away from my truck for a few days but when I have it back I'll be looking into installing a custom launcher and boot animation etc. Heres a few pics of my install. I had an old sub and amp to throw in too. Still have a little work to do to get it more secure but it all works.

Btw I hear everyone always saying that the trimming you need to do to make a double din fit is so easy and takes 5 mins. Not in my case. Partially my own fault but it took at least an hour. I bought the only Dremel that Walmart carried since I had a few gift cards. I didn't realize it was battery powered only so I kept having to wait to recharge the battery pack. Also that thing makes a huge mess so after seeing all the plastic dust covering everything in my truck I pulled out my dash to finish it up and I had a hard time disconnecting a few of the wires from the back.

Other than things taking longer than expected which is actually the norm for me, at least the first time, the install went well. Here is how to bypass the parking brake safety thing that only lets you do most things when the truck is parked and with the parking brake engaged. There is a light green wire that is for the parking brake. Just connect that in with the black ground wire from the head unit and the wiring harness or ground it to any bolt or whatever you want and it will let you use any function you want at any time. I ran my power wire along the drivers side and just popped the plastic thing off that you would step on to enter the vehicle. It feels like its going to break but I had to pull it really hard and it popped out and snapped back in when I reinstalled. I did the same for the passenger side when I ran the rca and remote line.

There is no dedicated amp turn on wire from the head unit. You hook up the amp remote wire to the blue "power antenna" wire and it will power up the amp as soon as the head unit powers up regardless of what source your'e listening too and also power it off about 10 seconds after the head unit turns off.

Oh and as far as sound quality I am running stock speakers and they get a lot louder without distortion now as opposed to being powered by the stock head unit. The bluetooth works awesome and I only had to set it up once and now it automatically syncs every time I get in the truck. Call quality is about as good as it gets for a bluetooth phone call. You can tell your'e talking to someone in a car. Its not terrible but It just sounds a little off. I think that is just the downfall of a speakerphone type call

Any questions just ask

[

Last edited by newbstroker0373; 12-31-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome write up. I was going to pick up a head unit twice the price but now I figure I'll just go with this one
Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 PM

Does this use your data since it's android? Will it show all the gauges that the normal app for the phone would show? Just bought a 6.0 and looking at a monitoring device being my first purchase.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru6614 View Post
Does this use your data since it's android? Will it show all the gauges that the normal app for the phone would show? Just bought a 6.0 and looking at a monitoring device being my first purchase.
If you are referring to my cell phone data then yes it does. I tether my Lg g2 on Verizon to run the internet connected apps. I just renewed my contract and gave up my unlimited data in order to get a discount on a new phone price. I have a 6gb plan right now but I am seriously contemplating selling my G2 and buying a Nexus 5 and making the switch to T-mobile and having the unlimited data for about $30 less per month than I am paying now without a contract.

I haven't downloaded the Torque app yet as I've had very little free time with my truck but I'll have a couple days off coming up and I will definitely be spending a lot of time playing with the head unit. I'll make sure to install Torque and compare the functionality to that of my phone and report back here. I have read it can be tricky getting it to pair up depending on which obd2 bluetooth device is being used but so far there has been a workaround to every problem people have experienced. I would assume that there are less gauges to be displayed on my 7.3 than your 6.0 as your engine probably has more sensors.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Too many downsides with the Parrot HU. Android 2.3 being the biggest one.

Look into the new Pioneer App Radio if you want something more up to date

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Too many downsides with the Parrot HU. Android 2.3 being the biggest one.

Look into the new Pioneer App Radio if you want something more up to date

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I agree having Android 2.3 is not ideal compared to something after 4.0 but so far all my apps run fine and I can customize it to look however I want. I haven't noticed any specific features lacking in Gingerbread that I would need on a head unit.

I just did a little bit of research on the Pioneer AppRadio 3 which is the newest.

It costs more money albeit only about $20

It needs to always be connected to the phone via proprietary Pioneer cables which adds an extra $60

My LG G2 is not on Pioneers list of compatible devices so they probably would't be too helpful if I ever needed tech support

They only currently list 17 compatible apps

So for my needs the Parrot is a better fit. I was so sick of using the cassette thing with wire plugged into my phone after doing that for so long that I really wanted a completely wireless solution and this provides that as well as access to thousands of apps and total customizability
The Following User Says Thank You to newbstroker0373 For This Useful Post:
gentimmy (01-02-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dang! This is cool! Does navigation work on it?

~ The Maddawg
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg89 View Post
Dang! This is cool! Does navigation work on it?

~ The Maddawg
Yes it does. It comes with iGO navigation preloaded onto an 8gb sd card. I haven't used it yet though so I can't comment on it. I use my phones internet connection and use Google Maps although you can load any other navigation you want as long as it runs on Android. I plan on trying out TomTom when I get some free time.

One thing to note is that the iGO navigation is locked to the sd card it comes with so you won't be able to transfer it to a larger sd card if you are looking for some extra space.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What does this cost?

~ The Maddawg
Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It looks like the best deal right now is from Crutchfield. As of right now they sell it for $479 and it comes with a free installation kit and free shipping. It says sold out but you can reserve one risk free. I bought mine from Amazon for $465 for just the head unit and free shipping but they have since jacked up the price to $499.

When I did my research I was looking at everything around the $500 price point and there was only a few head units at the price that even came with navigation. To me $500 is a lot of money. This is the most I have ever spent on a head unit and I didn't want to feel like after all that money I was still buying the bare bones entry level low end head unit.

I have had my truck for about 7 months and ever since I got it I have had the random radio shutoff that also disables my power windows. I believe it stems from a relay in the gauge cluster going bad. Normally with my stock head unit if the radio shut off I could usually bang on the dash board and it came back on and play music right away so it wasn't a huge inconvenience. However, the Asteroid takes about 30 seconds to boot up. So after hitting the dash it will come right back on but it takes a while before the music starts playing again. It becomes a lot more annoying having to wait 30 seconds for the music to come back on every time I get the random radio shut off. I don't mind the initial boot up time because I usually let my truck idle for about a minute anyways before driving.

I will be following a write up posted by one of our members jdonovan11832 that should end the random shut offs so I won't have to worry about it happening anymore. I just wanted to bring it up in case anyone else out there has the same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.