Stock to Double DIN Radio - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock to Double DIN Radio

Hello all! I searched the threads for an answer to this, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have an 02 F350 with the stock CD/Cassette radio unit. I've read that if you install a double DIN unit you will need to do "some modding". How much modding?

I HATE dash work, I'm more of a nuts and bolts person. Some folks who like dash work might think something is simple, where I would consider it an exercise in frustration.

Does anyone have good intel on how difficult the mods would be to put in a double DIN unit in the stock opening?

I'm not doing any other work on amps, speakers, etc. I never turn it up beyond a volume that would inhibit conversation in the cab anyway, so stock speakers is just fine with me. But that cassette slot staring at me says old. Really, all I want is a unit with Bluetooth to connect my phone to.

Thanks all for any info on the mods needed to install a double DIN unit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have to trim the dash bezel around the radio. The new unit will snap onto the bezel around the radio.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

I havent done it yet but I did research on it... it seems fairly painless ( I too hate interior work even though I've rewired my entire interior).

You buy a mount kit made for these trucks ( $20 or so) and get the dremel out then you're done
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
option 1
right now you have a din and a 1.5 so you just need to open the bottom of the hole and the top of the hole a little bit, a dremal with a sanding wheel will work. you basically just grind untell the new cage fits.

option 2
swap in a 05-07 upper dash/entire dash. a little harder but the factory din is a double din and the modification are behind the panal(if you just swap the upper part.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks all, sounds easy enough. If I had a garage long enough to park all 21.3 feet in, I'd do it next weekend. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I go to the Auto Hobby Shop for oil change, or spring in the driveway.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I did it to my 99 a while back. From what I remember, it was some minor bezel sanding, and a good whack with a mallet tot he metal support around the dash and it slid right in.. Pretty easy mod if my memory serves...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.