Stereo on the way! Alarm recommendations? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stereo on the way! Alarm recommendations?

Pretty excited, I've got a double DINN Sony head unit with bluetooth for phone connection, an infinity 10" powered sub, some new pioneer 6x8 speakers and a kenwood rear view cam on the way for my rig. I've done some amp/subwoofer installs in cars back in the day but nothing on a truck. Can't be that hard, I just have to find an easy place to run the power to behind the seat for the amp, along with the camera cable routing - what's the secret??

Any recommendations on an alarm system? I just need something simple, remote start isn't needed or anything like that. How hard are they to install? Worth paying a stereo shop, or just stop being a wuss and do it myself?

Thanks for the input -
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM

I do this as a living so it's easy. On your amp buy yourself a very long ziptie and cut the eyelet out so its all flat. Tape your wires to it and run it under carpet like if you were installing the amp under a seat. I did 4 amps under my back seat and 4 12s behind my seat and 22 speakers total. 4 in each. Door.

I have the Clifford (same as Viper and Python) 5902.x. Autostart alarm. Badass system! Many programmable output's features etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Viper alarm ftw!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokinAlaska View Post
I do this as a living so it's easy. On your amp buy yourself a very long ziptie and cut the eyelet out so its all flat. Tape your wires to it and run it under carpet like if you were installing the amp under a seat. I did 4 amps under my back seat and 4 12s behind my seat and 22 speakers total. 4 in each. Door.

I have the Clifford (same as Viper and Python) 5902.x. Autostart alarm. Badass system! Many programmable output's features etc.
Thanks for the response. So use it like a fish tape to shove under the carpet? Should I stay near the center of the truck or near the outside edges?

As for an alarm, how much if a pain is it to install it yourself in our trucks? I know it takes a lot of wire hunting and slicing but how many hours should it take me if I did it myself? I'm trying to decide if I should do it myself or have it done by best buy or other installer. Lots of people like their vipers, it seems!
Merry Christmas
Scott
Old 12-25-2013, 02:17 PM

I ran mine down the center for power. Did rca and speaker wires towards the pass. Side as to not get signal noise. I have fully custom doors made so its complex ha.

Install is easy. Ignitions horn parking lights locks are all centrally located under the dash. Door trigger use domelight in the kickpanel it is Black/Light Blue.

I do these trucks in 35 40 minutes.

U can do it but don't use t taps please. They are ugly and useless, soilder and tape all connections.
Ill get you a wiring schematic here in a bit. If your doing just an Alarm you won't need as many wires. But you will cut your starter wire in half to prevent the vehicle from starting while the system is ARMED.
If you do a directed system (viper,clifford, python ) your starter wires off the unit are purse and green. Green being Key Side of your factory starter wire and Purple being Car Side of the starter wire.
merry Xmas to you all as well
Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Pull down your dash board with the push-twist pins. Undo your fuse box with the 4 10mm bolts.
Your factory ignition harness has a grey shroud plastic price on it coming off through steering column. Pull it off.

12v + Constant - Yellow and Lt Green/Purple
Ignition - Red/Black larger of two present
Starter - Red/Lt Blue. you will cut this in half and do Green from the Directed unit to the Key side and Purple from the Directed unit to the Car side. This is the anit-theft aka starter kill
Accessory - Black/Lt Green and Grey/Yellow. Use both of doing a Autostart as it will kick kn your Abs light
Lock - Pink/Yellow
Unlock - Pink/Green. These are in a plug or loom up high above the gas pedal and sometimes a pain to get
Horn- Dark Blue to right of steering column. 4 pin plug
Parking Lights - Brown on back side of fuse box. Positive trigger
Brake - Lt Green at brake switch 5 or 6 pin plug
Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Dome Light - Black/Lt Blue in driver kick panel. Hook up door trigger from alarm to this wire. When you open your door and the alarm is armed this will trigger the alarm.

If doing a Autostart hook up White/Pink in loom coming from driver firewall. truck won't run long or sometimes even start if not hooked up

Let me know if you need help. Ill gladly walk you through it
The Following User Says Thank You to StrokinAlaska For This Useful Post:
ScottyP5947 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Wow thanks man!
I just ordered a couple of bulk boxes of dynamat too - might as well do it right. I plan to hit up the doors in and out and the back wall, that's probably all I will have the material to do. Also got a viper 3305v - I don't need the fancy stuff, just an alarm to keep the bad guys away. Should go easy I hope!

Now I just need the time. I'll let you know how it goes!
Scott

Last edited by ScottyP5947; 12-28-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added alarm info -
Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM

I did 3 Bulk Packs in mine. Crew cab. Did the inner door skins as well as right where the speaker sits on all four doors. Did the full back wall and partial floor and all the pillars (A,B,C) . Part of my headliner as well since that's what loves to rattle in all vehicles since its all open and thin material.

Be careful around you door lock rods as if you don't do it right your locks won't work properly. Good luck its fun and time consuming and careful not to cut your hands with the material. DYNOMAT and Ballistic are pokey on the edges haha
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

+1 for the viper. I had one in my dodge and it looks like the previous owner put one in my F350, although currently its not working.

StrokinAlaska, Do you have some pictures of your interior so we can see your setup? I am up in Fairbanks and plan on doing a small upgrade to my sterio. Do you honostly think dynamat is worth the extra cost over what you can get at Lowes or Home Depot? I am guessing you got it at cost if thats what you do for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.