Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

In Dash Android Nexus 7 Install

27K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  Rikk 
#1 ·
I'm pretty new here but I thought some of you might be interested in my radio upgrade. My truck came with a tape player, which I new I needed to get rid of quickly. After looking at the current stereos in the market, I decided to install a Nexus 7 in my dash so that I could have music, nav, movies, and the Torque app all in one place. I took some pictures during the install to document it.

First off I started with a first gen Nexus 7 tablet. After rooting it, I installed Timur's USB ROM. This allows the tablet to power external usb devices and is perfect for for a fixed installation.

First I installed a power port off of the switched radio power wire and added a usb charger.

Connected to the tablet is an otg usb Y cable. One half goes to the power port, and one to the usb hub I mounted behind my glovebox

Also seen in the previous picture connected to the hub is a USB DAC. I wasn't thrilled with the sound quality of the Nexus' headphone out, so I routed the sound through the DAC with much better results. The DAC is connected to a 4 channel amp under my seat.

I welded up a plate to mount the tablet to

After generous amounts of dremeling, the tablet mounts cleanly behind the dash. A few daylight shots (note install an anti-glare screen protector)

night shot

The screen automatically turns on with the ignition key. When the truck is turned off it enables airplane mode and goes to sleep so that the battery doesn't drain.

I've still got a few bugs to work out, but so far I'm really happy with it. Hopefully this helps someone out, I couldn't find any info on someone doing this to a Superduty when I was planning the project.

See less See more
#4 ·
Would it not fit in front of the dash trim?

#12 ·
I'm in the process of gathering up the parts for my install. To add apps or songs just use tethering on your phone and then what ever music app you use enabled offline storage.

#14 ·
very nice.. i was planning on doing the same exact thing after the holidays. look into tasker for android. it'll work wonders. I'll be setting mine up to a keyed power source so when the key is on, power will kick on and wake up the tablet, then set it to "sleep" 15 seconds after losing power.. can also set it to automatically toggle bluetooth, and wifi setting or whatever you need it to do.

#16 ·
I use tasker for some things. Check into the USB-ROM kernel though, it is designed for a car installation and adds a lot of nice features. I originally did this project with just tasker, but moved to the USB-ROM and it made life much better. It automatically wakes and sleeps the tablet, and the sleep is a "deep sleep" that will prevent anything from waking it. It also adds usb host power and fast charging so that the tablet can stay charged while providing power to slave devices and allowing hot plugging. Plus a bunch of other helpful features, on screen volume and next song buttons, etc
USB ROM for Nexus 7

#24 ·
Sorry, I haven't been on this site for a while. I was previously streaming fm radio over 3g, but I've got a hardware solution I'm working on now that doesn't use the data connection. I'll post up the details in a few days, once I get it finished.

#18 ·
With his setup, no.. I've seen some setups that maintain a factory deck and steering wheel controls for am/fm use.. also some that use an aftermarket deck relocated to a different spot.. you CAN add an fm app that picks it up, but I believe it uses your 3g/4g network.

#19 ·
I was wondering about that also. I couldn't see burnin up my data with something like this. May be using an SD card tho?:confused: That thing doesn't look easily removable.

#20 ·
Most setups aren't removable. Mainly because of the difficulty of popping the dash piece off and then your left with a big gaping hole, but if you think about it, this will do as much and more than a standard double din deck. With a lot better UI and a lot more customability for about half the cost, I'd just leave it in full time. You wouldn't remove your double din and wanna carry it around everywhere, Lol.

#21 ·
Yeah like I said, that depends on your data plan. The reason I mentioned removability is to get at a memory card. Guess you could download music via WiFi also.
I'm not doubting there usefulness, just don't know much about them. I'm fairly lo-tech. Mainly why I ended my comments in a question mark

#32 ·
This setup sounds brilliant. I like the low cost idea (I'm tired of over priced hardware that's out of date in 2 weeks) and the idea of using a tablet is awesome.

Any thoughts on a backup camera? I will be installing in a '05 Excursion so a backup camera will be crucial to me!

Good job, and thanks for the great post.

#33 ·
What USB DAC did you use and have you had any problems with it?

Reactions: monkeyman
#39 ·
I am currently collecting all the stuff to do this to my 99 F250. I will make a list of all the things I used to do it and where I bought them. Most of all the stuff I have bought is from AMAZON. Fortunetly I work in a sheet metal shop so I will be able to make the brackets easily. I have been researching this for quite sometime, including rooting the nexus 7 and what others have done on you tube. -Jason

#42 ·
#41 ·
About to tackle this install myself using almost all the same pieces this weekend. Was planning on using this thread as a guide.
@cj777 - How did you tap into the power source with that cigarette adapter back behind the stock head unit location, the details were vague on that portion for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.