Air Ride Driver's Seat, Utilizing Factory Seat (hopefully) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Ride Driver's Seat, Utilizing Factory Seat (hopefully)

I'm starting this thread to document putting an air ride seat in my F350.

First, a little back story.

I've now got 390K miles on my '01 and am typically putting between 4,000 and 6,000 more every month for work.

I have a herniated disc between L3 and L4 in my back and this past Friday had my 3rd Epidural Cortisone Steroid injection into my spine.

I'm only 28 yrs old... and realize I need to do something to help ease my back problems, most of which probably stem from being in my truck for hours on the road, in addition to hours waiting on job sites in my pickup and sleeping in my truck overnight (the life of an Oil Field worker).

So I had a hairbrained Idea and started looking around online air seats for pickups, specifically the F350 chassis. I knew they had them in 650's and with matching cabs, something would inevitably work

After a bit of searching I discorvered flat out buying a unit was going to run me $1,000+. Not the end of the world, but I would like to replace my injectors before too much longer in addition to the truck needing some new tires in the coming weeks. Add that to the fact that I am a cheap bastard I figured I've put enough seats in race cars over the past few years, ain't scared of a welder and enjoy fabricating stuff (for personal and financial satisfaction)

Was browsing craigslist last night for nothing specific and low and behold came across this ad:

Ford Superduty Air Ride Seat

Bought it this morning first thing. The seat itself, although usable, doesn't match my light gray interior is pretty rough so I separated it from the base. I was afraid after reading some other threads I wouldn't be able to separate it from the sliders, but fortunately it wasn't an issue for me. I am hoping to keep the slider (either the manual one on this frame or the power from a factory seat) but if not it's not the end of the world as 99.9% of the time I am driving the truck.

I went ahead and removed that red tape, then used a couple of zipties to secure the air line to the base so the slider bar wouldn't rub on it. I also straightened out the bar for the slider (after taking the picture). I am going to pressure wash it and regrease it before going too much further from here.

Also, the base included an air compressor (hidden in that little box), with its own switch, so all I have to do is wire it to a fused 12v Source.

I will be going to the junkyard in the morning if I don't get called to work to search for another stock seat. I don't want to cut mine up if I can avoid it. Also, if I ever do get rid of the truck (highly unlikely), I would like to be able to just bolt the factory seat back into it. Chances are if I buy another truck after this one, it is going to be a Superduty too, so I could transfer this seat into it.

Will update as I make progress!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Subscribed to this thread!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

subscribed
Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Just a heads up, it may be a few days before I get much further. I could rush this and get it done, however I want it done RIGHT.

I am on call for work 24/7 and it sounds like I have to leave in the morning. If I've got down time while in ND I'll hit the wrecking yards there looking for a seat that matches my interior.

For those interested, these bases can be purchased new for about $300 I believe. I don't think that includes the pump though :/

But, this WILL be completed hopefully sooner than later as my back is literally riding on it! Between my drag car and my NSX, I love modifying cars, but this right now is at the top of my priority list, because my pickup is what provides for all the toys...
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Very nice! I was actually thinking about this on my trip to Az a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM

Well, I have finally made it home. Had to go get new tires installed on the truck today and I have a rear caliper hanging a hair (making for a lovely smell and toast of the brake pads I just put on it!) and a leaking rear axles seal that I am going to go tend to shortly. If time permits and my buddy is at the shop I may have him start on this seat project utilizing my original seat for now. I can always find another used seat later to put in the truck as I just want this done and know I have very minimal time before I am going to be needed back at work.

I'll update as progress is made. Sorry this isn't the final installation!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 PM

How's the seat coming along?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Interested if you've made any headway on this project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.