sound system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sound system

hey guys im now down to just my driver door speaker and it plain sucks!! it is also vibirating from somewhere in the door. I have a 12" sub in the back seat and it quit working the other day, probly something simple but i havent got to it yet. My brother got an 02 jetta a while back and man does that thing slam!! Its factory sound and I know its got an amp in the trunk but i have no clue what it is. Im considering completely ditching the sub system and getting some pretty powerful door speakers and maybe an amp that i can fit under the seat, I think that would be enough for me but i could keep the sub also just run 2 amps, I have a 99 extended cab so i really dont have much to work with as far as a hidden sub but could you guys tell me what worked for you? I really want to get new door speakers powered by an amp that are capable of sounding good cranked up but iv never done all this before and i dont know where to start or which brands to go with. Also does anybody know the size of the door speakers off the top of their heads? id like to get a plan and the stuff i need before i start tearing the door pannels off. any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
IIRC, the front is 6.5" and the rear is 5x7". The big question is what is your budget and what are your goals; SPL, SQ or just something to make noise?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I hope this helps. I put Memphis Audio components in the front with mounting the 6.5s in the front door factory spots and the tweeters on the dash in the pillar corners. You can make adapters for the new ones but I just drilled new holes and mounted them. You won't be able to tell a difference with or without a adapter plate. In the rear I put a set of JBL 6X9s with a little trimming. They were components also but not separates. Since you have a extended cab a little bazooka sub will sound decent. Like mentioned it will depend on what you can afford and how quick you want to be deaf. Good luck with what you choose.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

I'm not looking to make myself deaf, I want it to hit good and sound good when I turn it up so I want some good quality speakers I'm not sure what tweeters are ill have to do some more homework what kind of head unit should I get not wanting to get a touch screen
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Component speakers consist of usually 2 different speakers. One is usually a woofer that has the highs blocked from going to it. The tweeters are small speakers that have the lows blocked. This way you have 2 speakers working together dividing the sound up to get better quality of sound. I'm sure the people at best buy or some car sound shop would explain it better and let you listen to the difference.
Head units will be a preference thing. I have a touch screen and love it. So it depends on what all you want to do with it.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

do the speakers wattage need to match? i ordered a set for the front that can handle up to 150 watts each and the rears are 300 watt max, both sets are boss 3 way with built in tweeters I couldnt find a matching set since the front and back are 2 different sizes but they are the same color and look like the same style, I wouldnt think the max wattage would matter as long as i dont exceed it, im going to try these without an amp first.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM

No max wattage means what they can handle. The wattage you have will depend on what your radio is putting out.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

the 6.5s dont fit. The front and back are both oval shaped the bolt holes on the 6.5 are 6 1/4" diagonally and the holes in the door are 6.5" so its off, also i dont think the circular speaker will fit in the oval hole. PLZ HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.