1999 to 2006 seat conversion! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 to 2006 seat conversion!

O.k... so i bought this red 99 ec sd the other day with a few minor issues. I feel like i got a really good deal..i think some one just got tired of working on it. Alot of new updated parts on there!! Anyway, one of the "few minor issues" the truck had was that it had a tan dash and door panels with grey seats and carpet..lol! I can only imagine how that may have occurred. So, i call around and checked the forums from the correct parts to make it all tan. (not sure but a red truck with tan interior may have been rare) With no luck on the interior..i started calling local junk yards. 2nd one i called..the guy said oh yeah i have a tan interior for one of those and made me a price. So on a 30 mile road trip i go! Turns out when i get there that the interior he mentioned was in an 06...i said no..mines a 99! To which he replied...it will still work! Wait a minute guy..i told you on the phone that i needed a tan interior for a 1999 ford super duty!!! I drive all the way here and its a 2006. He said well, just go take a look and see what you think. So, down in the yard me and his help go...i walk up to the truck and man these seat are filthy!! Don't see how they got that bad in 6 years. My 95 has cleaner seats and its a work truck. Plus..these are manual when i had asked for electric! Anyway, instead of wasting a trip i decided to walk the yard for some other items i knew i would eventually need. Found the correct cup holder, a set of banks pillar gauges, a good overhead console (mine didn't work) and a key fob. Came back to the office with those parts in hand and asked for a price. He went right back to the seats..."what did ya think of them"! I said, their the wrong year, manual, and filthy!! He said...so you don't want them?? I said no..not for the price you told me now how bout this other stuff?? Long story short..i got the seats plus everything else for less than the original price of the seats!!! Came home and did the swap with minimal mods to make them work and then cleaned them up...they came out great. One major benefit is the belt being made into the seat and the firmer but much better feel over the 99 seats! Anyway, in case someone else may wanna give this a try...have at it, its not a bad swap at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM

Dude, Im on the coast. I wish we had a salvage yard where I could just go through and find jewels like that.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM

try "car-part.com" they list quiet a few yards and you can search under your exact model and part. I don't actually think i was supposed to just be walking around...the guy took me out there to show me the seats his boss wanted me to buy but when he realized how aggravated i was, he didn't stop me when i said i was gonna have a look around..lol!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Questions on Mounting

I am looking at doing this mod myself, I have the seats out of a 2006 also, but the seat-back mounts are totally different from 99 to 06. Did you end up cutting out the bottom seat-back brackets from the back wall of the cab in the 2006 and are the brackets with the loops for the top seat mounts ?

Pictures would be great. Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM

i'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. Actually on the back of the back seat i did not get the correct brackets. That would be the best way to do the conversion if possible but what i did worked just as good. I took bolt cutters and removed the center section out of all three upper loops. You end up with 6 vertical "pins" so to speak. I then put the seat back up to the back of the cab, pushed down and slid it back and forth. That gave me the correct location to drill 6 new holes. Once the holes were ready, it was just a matter of put the seat back up there, pushing it in and back at the same time...and in she went! I do not have the lower brackets in there at the moment (ran out of time) but i think i can fab up a few and attach them with sheet metal screws. The seat actually sits in there fine without them...but i will add them later just for safety's sake. The lower part of the back seat bolted in but took a little persuasion. The 06 studs at the rear of the bracket were vertical where mine are on an angle. Put the seat in, put the nut on the rear stud and begin to tighten...the stud and the seat worked theirselves together and then all i had to do was loosen and slide the seat back to get the font bolt lined up. Then tightened it all down and bam..its done! Pics tomorrow hopefully!! (as a side note..i have all to o.g. grey stuff up for sale if anyone would be interested).
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM

i will say this...for it to have been and "accidental" type thing...this is the best mod so far in my opinion! They rid and feel so much better...plus the seat belts in the seat are a real blessing with kids!! Be aware though...if you like the softer sitting seats you should stay with the o.g. setup. The newer seats are firmer all the way around...but i like that...feels more stable.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Yeah if you could post some pics that would be awesome !
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM

A few pics for the masses..lol!

heres the rear stud thats angled on my 99 and straight on the 06

this is the front bolt on the rear seat bracket that will not line up until you run the back nut down and then loosen it back up.

heres a few of how i did the back of the rear seat

Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do the 06 rears raise up on the bottom and tilt forward on the back, or is it just the bottom?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 PM

the bottoms do lift up but the back is stationary. I guess if there's a downside...that's it. The 99's basically fold up/down and you end up with a flat surface for storage or whatever. The 06's aren't gonna do that. (at least the ones i got don't) Which for me is not a problem cause all that ever goes back there are my daughters. I have owned a 95 ex cab for over 10 years and have never folded the back seat down..lol! If someone was using their super duty for work..the 06 seats might not be as good of an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.